Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: old brick

Originally posted by MR.FUDD View Post
    The easy fix would be get some Thoro-Seal foundation coating & paint them. Don't forget the bonding agent & read the directions. I don't know what type of quickcrete you are trying to use, but @ 40 deg. daytime temps all you are doing is making a mess that is not going to last. With the Thoro-Seal you can add dye that you would use in concrete to change the color to what you want or you can find builders supply house that carries Thoro & they can ordered it in a custom color. You can only get it in white from HD.
    It was quickcrete morter mix 60 pound bag. Was trying to fill in a couple holes in the brick worked out okay the next day took rubber handle on hammer and tapped on them and they were really solid. just couldnt get it to stick to the brick face or edge like I see bricklayers do.

Comment

Originally posted by Killing time View Post
      It was quickcrete morter mix 60 pound bag. Was trying to fill in a couple holes in the brick worked out okay the next day took rubber handle on hammer and tapped on them and they were really solid. just couldnt get it to stick to the brick face or edge like I see bricklayers do.
      That is because mortar is not the best material for patching holes in brick . It will work for re-pointing the joints, but for patching holes in the face of the brick I would use their patch mix & a latex bonding agent. Take a margining trowel (small trowel with square end) pack it in the hole, trowel smooth leaving a little excess & then rub smooth with a piece of blue or pink styrofoam.

Comment

Why not foam the holes (if all the way through) and then glue 1/2" Styrofoam to the block. Then use the pre-mixed stucco in a bucket. It will give you a little insulation and protect the block. If it gets nicked or chips, you can always touch it up.

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
          If the brick was wet or you rub on it too much it will not stick either. Might try pressure washing the brick and letting it dry good first if it is dirty or painted. rubbing on it too much makes the portland work out of the mix and leaves only a sandy mix falling off of the wall.

Never heard of the elmers glue trick!
          I second the pressure washing. Your going to remove any crime, dirt, etc... that has built up over the years and your going to open of the pours in the brick.

Comment

Working...
          X