X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old brick

Okay guys ive got a question. I have a older home that has a brick foundation but the bricks look bad. What I would like to do is cover the brick up with some thing i can paint/smear on. and then paint it. anybody know what I could use? what would be easy and last.

Re: old brick

Mix up some mortar mix and stucco the brick. For a slick job it will take two coats with the first one being a "scratch" coat, leave it rough so the finish coat will have something to stick to.

Comment

Well yesterday I wanted to repair some holes in the brick so got some morter mix from quickcrete that just requires water and had a hard time trying to get it to nstick to the brick. Im not sure what I was doing wrong I just globbed in on the brick in the hole and set the brick in it and wiped away excess. Today the brick I laid was solid and not going anywhere but there was know way i would have been able to smear in on the brick face and it stay. The temp yesterday was in the forties not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Comment

For stucco ect on brick or concreate my dad always takes a gallon of elmers white wood glue dilutes it 75% with water and uses a pain brush and paintes the surface hes about to cover ivw got an old masonary chimney im gona just scatch coat the glue makes everything adhere a million times better. Hope this hheps seanny. Ps they make a special trowel for the joint around bricks deending on the look your going for. I think Its called pointing but i cant remember.
        Last edited by seanny deep; 01-22-2012, 09:41 PM.

Comment

If the brick was wet or you rub on it too much it will not stick either. Might try pressure washing the brick and letting it dry good first if it is dirty or painted. rubbing on it too much makes the portland work out of the mix and leaves only a sandy mix falling off of the wall.

Never heard of the elmers glue trick!

Comment

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
            For stucco ect on brick or concreate my dad always takes a gallon of elmers white wood glue dilutes it 75% with water and uses a pain brush and paintes the surface hes about to cover ivw got an old masonary chimney im gona just scatch coat the glue makes everything adhere a million times better. Hope this hheps seanny. Ps they make a special trowel for the joint around bricks deending on the look your going for. I think Its called pointing but i cant remember.
            Do you let the glue dry then come in with morter?

Comment

Yah just leave it over night and then do your touch ups

Comment

They sell bonding agents at a million dollars the price of the Elmer's glue, I always swore the product looked and smelt just like it. I recall you paint it on and let it dry. The surface you want to adhere to most certainly needs to be cleaned for best results. I personally do not trust the "cold joint" between the brick and the new masonry/stucco, I would be inclined to install some self furring wire it ensure what I am doing does not "pop off" in case of an earthquake or getting hit with something.
                We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

My apologize killing time i just called my dad to double check he had it in an elmers container the right product is called weldbond and its a acyrlcil adhesive he said mix half a cup with four or five galloons water and mix it you want it to still be milky white "dont worry it dries clear and also put a tiny bit in the water you use to mix your morter he learned it from an old stone mason he worked for.. weld bond or well bond.. sorry for the mix up hope this helps

Comment

In thé past iv seen people use basically heavyduty chicken wire tap conned on to thé brick to act as reinforcemnet sâme principal as rebar. Well bond looks alot like elmers glue as is similer in price. Seanny
                    Last edited by seanny deep; 01-22-2012, 11:08 PM. Reason: stupid smart phone...grrrr

Comment

I only have four or so bricks sticking out of the ground just trying to make the house look better. Having new vinyl siding put on house and dont really want to leave the bricks showing as rough as they look.

Comment

There is no such thing as "easy and last"! If you want it easy, just spread it on as mentioned. If you want it to last, fasten on wire lath before you stucco it.

Comment

The easy fix would be get some Thoro-Seal foundation coating & paint them. Don't forget the bonding agent & read the directions. I don't know what type of quickcrete you are trying to use, but @ 40 deg. daytime temps all you are doing is making a mess that is not going to last. With the Thoro-Seal you can add dye that you would use in concrete to change the color to what you want or you can find builders supply house that carries Thoro & they can ordered it in a custom color. You can only get it in white from HD.

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                            They sell bonding agents at a million dollars the price of the Elmer's glue, I always swore the product looked and smelt just like it. I recall you paint it on and let it dry. The surface you want to adhere to most certainly needs to be cleaned for best results. I personally do not trust the "cold joint" between the brick and the new masonry/stucco, I would be inclined to install some self furring wire it ensure what I am doing does not "pop off" in case of an earthquake or getting hit with something.
                            You need to read the directions of the bonding agent, because most bonding agents will act like a bond breaker if allowed to dry.

Comment

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
                              My apologize killing time i just called my dad to double check he had it in an elmers container the right product is called weldbond and its a acyrlcil adhesive he said mix half a cup with four or five galloons water and mix it you want it to still be milky white "dont worry it dries clear and also put a tiny bit in the water you use to mix your morter he learned it from an old stone mason he worked for.. weld bond or well bond.. sorry for the mix up hope this helps
                              The product is weldbond, another excellent use for it is when doing stucco ceilings. If you are spraying on a new ceiling add weldbond and paint as a partial substitute for the water. If painting an existing stucco ceiling for the first time add the Weldbond to the paint and apply a light coat, this seals the stucco and then the next coat goes on and actually covers instead of absorbing. Never thought about adding it to the mortar - thanks for the tip

Comment

Working...
                              X