X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Siding

HELP!!! I have been getting some prices on having a house I own resided and I have no Idea what is going on with these prices im getting. All I want to do is make the house look better. Do not want the siding to cost me the farm but want something that is okay dont know what makes one better than the other but the prices im getting are all over the place. Any info would help thanks.

Re: Siding

Siding companies charge by the square. A square is 100 square feet. You could measure your own house and then know everyone is on the same page measurement wise. Siding prices vary widely. You can price the thin gauge junk that Home Depot sells vs. a product from Certainteed or Alside, that is, if you are going the vinyl siding route. Vinyl siding from the better manufacturers fall into 4 categories: economy, standard, premium and super premium and the price per square varies accordingly. A 2,000 square foot house could easily cost over $12,000 to reside, more if you choose a higher grade vinyl siding. Throw in the starter strips, J-channel, soffit, inside and outside corners, and metal to cover all exposed wood trim. In order to compare apples to apples you need to spec. the job yourself. Call a siding company or go online to research the cost of the siding that you want to use from the 4 categories above. Do you want the old siding removed? This is a good idea since your windows and trim will sit proud of the siding instead of being buried. Is a dumpster necessary? Are they using builder's foam insulation under the siding? How much for capping all the wood trim? Once you spec. out the job and nail down all those variables, the only difference in your bid prices should be how much the installer charges per square for installation. This can run from $3-$7 per square foot. Hope this helps.

Comment

Don't forget about the dry rot wild card. I most certainly want that dealt with prior to new siding being installed. Repairing dryrot can add thousands of dollars to any project, and it is difficult to know what's really there until you open it up. I tell my customers "Dry rot is like an iceberg. You only see the top 10%.".
      We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

What kind of siding is on the house now? I am just finishing doing my home. It had really bad LP on it. I think I am into it for about $4000 in materials . (Putting Hardi on and changing the style with all new trim, trim band and rock in front of garage.) I got one estimate to do it and it was around $12,000 just to recover. This does not count all the days I spend replacing rotten sheathing and bad framing.
        Charles

Comment

I just uploaded some before and after pictures.
          Last edited by NW Diver; 02-23-2012, 07:03 PM.
          Charles

Comment

Originally posted by NW Diver View Post
            I jsut uploaded some before and after pictures.

Link?

Comment

How much should I pay for a car ? . Given the info You supplied,There's no telling! I've been a carpenter 50 Years.
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Its a older home have removed all old siding and windows insulated outside walls and put up new blandex and putting in new windows. I have had 5 people give me a price and have prices from lowest of 5600 to the highest of 9200. That is a big difference and not sure why. Dont really know what to ask them as far a quality of siding or what on such huge differences. I know on plumbing a house the bids shouldnt be that far apart or someone mesed up.And plumbing is what I know so siding is what I need to be educated on. @ toolaholic Im not asking how much to pay for the car but rather what makes one car worth more than the other!

Comment

All caulking should be a polyurethane ,sikaflex of vulkem. All window and door head [ top] casings need new cap flashings.
                  big difference in siding prices and styles. Wood shingles [white or red ceder],Allum.,texture 111. Stainless or galvanized nails.
                  Can cont. show proof of workers comp? broken back,he owns Your home, . Look at their WORK! Hope this helps. tell Me the sq. footage, material, access , one 2 or 3 story, Hillside? I,ll give You the expensive Marin co. price per ft. Good Luck
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                    Don't forget about the dry rot wild card. I most certainly want that dealt with prior to new siding being installed. Repairing dryrot can add thousands of dollars to any project, and it is difficult to know what's really there until you open it up. I tell my customers "Dry rot is like an iceberg. You only see the top 10%.".
                    When I see ROT ,I say the following to the customer " This is as hypocritical, as an Irish Funeral director,trying to look sad ,at a $40,000 funeral "

Comment

As far as vinyl siding, one of the main differences is the thickness. Generally, the thicker the siding, the higher quality. I've seen some vinyl that was such crap that it actually started to melt from the sun. Cheaper vinyls are also more likely to pull off the nails during a hard wind.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                        All caulking should be a polyurethane ,sikaflex of vulkem. All window and door head [ top] casings need new cap flashings.
                        big difference in siding prices and styles. Wood shingles [white or red ceder],Allum.,texture 111. Stainless or galvanized nails.
                        Can cont. show proof of workers comp? broken back,he owns Your home...
                        Don't forget to mention that you should check to see if he has a license in good standing to begin with, then ask for his general liability certificate, and workmanship comp. To take it a step further, you could insist on your be listed as additional insured on his policy for your job.

Who wants to pay $5 or more a tube when Alex plus is $1 a tube? I've had customers insist the Alex was going enough because it has a 30 year durability guarantee. Eyep, I am called back a year later because all of the caulking has cracked. They want their house recaulked for free, and I remind them they had chosen and supplied caulking I did not recommend, and told them up front that I was not going to warranty it or the labor because it is the wrong material for the job. They are still upset, now because i warned them about this, and its their fault, but they still want me to recaulk and touchup the paint for free. Nowadays if they don't follow my recommendations, I don't do the work.

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                          Don't forget to mention that you should check to see if he has a license in good standing to begin with, then ask for his general liability certificate, and workmanship comp. To take it a step further, you could insist on your be listed as additional insured on his policy for your job.

Who wants to pay $5 or more a tube when Alex plus is $1 a tube? I've had customers insist the Alex was going enough because it has a 30 year durability guarantee. Eyep, I am called back a year later because all of the caulking has cracked. They want their house recaulked for free, and I remind them they had chosen and supplied caulking I did not recommend, and told them up front that I was not going to warranty it or the labor because it is the wrong material for the job. They are still upset, now because i warned them about this, and its their fault, but they still want me to recaulk and touchup the paint for free. Nowadays if they don't follow my recommendations, I don't do the work.
                          1980 S.F. Local 22 carpenters union. I worked composite with ironworkers setting stone on Hi risers. All the Pro caulkers that came after us Used polyurathane caulk.
                          You don't caulk twice at 20 stories! Nothing so expensive as cheap caulking

Comment

Working...
                          X