X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Deck post, in ground or on a pier?

Sorry, but burying the post is/was a dumb idea.

Comment

If you were to soak the ends of the beams on some copper green for like 8 months prior to burying them, you'll get a couple of years more out of them. In 20 years the termites will have eaten treated lumber to dust. I have a picture of what happens to P.T lumber poured in concrete, there was about 2" of the post left below the concrete. It started at a 12" depth. A shop vac was all that was needed to take out the other 10"
      We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

I replaced two porch posts that were incased in concrete, both were cedar. They did not go below ground level, but the front stoop was poured around them. Both were completely rotted off and inch below the surface of the concrete and the inside of the post was rotted out a foot above the stoop. This house was less than 15 years old. This was 8x8 posts! Treated lumber here will rot out in no time if buried. Placing a post directly on concrete it just not smart, you should have some separation between the two. By placing the post in the ground on top of a concrete footing, you have created a place that will hold water around the post. Sorry, but you asked for advice on this and ignored it....

Comment

Digging the hole is the pita. A few post holders and a few more bags of sacrete is what, $50? What a waste of good holes. An inspector that passes that is a douche.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

IMOthe sad thing is most smaller jurisdictions do not have individual trade inspectors, but have combo insoectors(I can't think of the proper title). The inspector might be a career framer, electrician, plumber or HVAC and have strong knowledge in that field, but the common sense for catching stuff in other trades is not really there, all they know is what the book says. More than once I've had my inspection and have been baffled at what the inspector "missed" or had another correction sheet after our first inspection. It is frowned upon amongst building inspectors and tradesmen to generate another NOC on another inspectors inspection but it goes to show that they are not perfect.
            We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Hi,
              I think you should install deck on piers. As deck piers support the beams that create the joist spans for a deck. This is the foundation of the deck and if this is not installed properly then it will result in failure of part or the entire deck. Piers can concentrate the load to a small area. Ground stability and soil compaction are very important when you consider using this type of foundation structure.
              New Roofing

Comment

Just replaced 3 deck posts today. All on footings, but buried a foot deep in the ground. I drilled in rebar and extended the footing above ground level and replaced the posts. Anyone who puts posts in the ground is a hack in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                X