Best construction method for a very wide soffit over long distance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best construction method for a very wide soffit over long distance

There are three heating ducts stacked together which means the soffit needs to span 54 inches from the wall to the to the portion coming down from the ceiling joists. The portion coming down from the ceiling only needs to be 12 inches to cover the ducts. The ducts span 40ft across the main load bearing wall. The question is do you build a plywood wall for the 12 inch wall, attach a ledger board and then connect the two with 2X4s or can you build plywood all the way around. What is the better option to give support and reduce potential sag due to weight? Thanks for the help.

Re: Best construction method for a very wide soffit over long distance

Originally posted by sprigmore View Post
    There are three heating ducts stacked together which means the soffit needs to span 54 inches from the wall to the to the portion coming down from the ceiling joists. The portion coming down from the ceiling only needs to be 12 inches to cover the ducts. The ducts span 40ft across the main load bearing wall. The question is do you build a plywood wall for the 12 inch wall, attach a ledger board and then connect the two with 2X4s or can you build plywood all the way around. What is the better option to give support and reduce potential sag due to weight? Thanks for the help.
    I need A Picture ,then I'll help. This is My 50th year as a Carpenter
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
    X