X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting up a vinyl fence

I have an area I'll be putting up a 4 foot high vinyl fence, the kind with 4x4 PT posts covered with vinyl sleeves and hangers to hold the sections. Looking for advice to make it go smoothly.

Plan is to snap a chalk line and mark the 8 post positions with spray paint. Then dig the first hole, position the post, make it perfectly vertical, shovel in some stone, then cement mix, then stake it to hold. This first post will be reference.

This I am unsure: Everything from that should be at 8 foot intervals on center. How can I assure the posts are perfectly plumb? I don't want to be in a situation where a section has a gap or looks uneven.

For the posts, I think I'll use 8 foot lengths, and bury 3+ feet. It is in a damp area and I am concerned with freezing heaving the ground. After they set, chop the tops horizontal with a sawzall.

Opinions?

Re: Putting up a vinyl fence

I just did one and this way worked best for me. Place your first post and plumb it. Add concrete. I used the stuff you add a gallon of water to after you put the concrete in the hole dry. This stuff sets up pretty fast or about as long as it takes to dig your next hole. Attach fence section to the first and second posts. Now the second post should be plumb in one direction. Add concrete and check plumb on second post. You can place a level on the fence section to check fence for level then and adjust it off the second post if necessary. Repeat until done!

Comment

Got the posts done this weekend. Rented a 2-man auger and set the posts. Nice and solid, and a visual has them lined up perfectly. Made sure they were exactly 8' on centers. Next weekend: cut the tops level, install vinyl sleeves, panel brackets, panels, caps.

Had the yard marked for utilities, and one post was close to the sewer line, so that one was a hand dig. Oddly, we came across an unmarked 3" white PVC pipe under another hole. Fortunately, it was encountered when we were clearing a large stone by hand. I suspect it was drainage of some sort, as it was heading in the general direction of a creek.

Comment

Glad to hear of your progress, and glad you did not run into any thing that would have caused you problems,

I build a shed about a month ago and when digging the posts we ran into a place where some one had jumped a lot of old field rocks had to jack hammer them out,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Update, looks good! Thanks for the guidance!

Comment

Putting vinyl fencing is not that difficult.First you need to pound in a peg and run a line for your fence project. Then run a string line to make the entire area where the fence will be going.Then start working in that area in one direction. Mark off your distance between the holes.Fill the hole with concrete to approximately 2'' below the top of the hole.Install the fence section by putting a section together with shrink wrap. Now, put a small block of wood under the section to give you the spacing you want.Put a small block of wood over the post and tapping it with a block of wood.Hang the gates. Most vinyl fence comes with support hardware like aluminum inserts. Use them at least on the side where your gate is going to hang. The last step would be to put your post caps on.
            New Roofing

Comment

Working...
            X