Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
No starter shingles on neighbor's porch roof. No problems. How do I correct? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No starter shingles on neighbor's porch roof. No problems. How do I correct?

When cleaning her gutter, I noticed that the tar paper is visible between the tabs of the bottom row of shingles.
    No problems with water damage, but should this be corrected?
    How?
    Thank you.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: No starter shingles on neighbor's porch roof. No problems. How do I correct?

If you really want to repair this, you need to use a flat bar and pry up the nails holding the first course of shingles on. Do this prying from underneath the first course so you don't damage the face of the shingle. If they are three tab shingles cut the tabs off and slide that under the first course and renail. But if it's not leaking (and it is a porch) why bother?

Comment

Re: No starter shingles on neighbor's porch roof. No problems. How do I correct?

This is My MUSIC . Shingled Many homes ,sidewall and roofs. Buy a shingle ripper,roof supply or building supply, This tool Cuts the staples or box nails without disrupting the shingle courses. Then You can slip shingles under. Important! Buy 5 penny box nails. Using only 2 nails per shingle , face nail the last exposed course. Nails have to be driven in straight and slightly dimpling wood shingle. 1 water will swell the wood around nail heads,won't leak. This is My 50 th year doing this work. Being from Cape Cod Mass taught Me to be a very good fast shingler. West Coast Carpenters Don't know compare to our skills N tricks shingling. Good luck Tool
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Tool, you gave great advice for wood shingles, but I think Robert was talking about asphalt.

Comment

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
          As long as the drip edge, felt, and first course of shingles
          were properly installed and sealed and there is no sign of
          water damage or rot it should be OK. The starter course has
          a tar strip to seal the first course of full shingles, but they can
          be sealed by hand.The starter also provides an aesthetically
          seamless appearance. Nice, but not necessary. If you need starters, you can make your
          own by cutting the tabs from any shingle, as described by killavolt.
          But the starter needs to be tarred down.
          The main thing is that water is not able to migrate under the first
          row of shingles and rot out the edge.
          Last edited by Big Jim; 07-19-2012, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
            Tool, you gave great advice for wood shingles, but I think Robert was talking about asphalt.
            Thank You Kid . For asphalt or fiberglass,Use a flat wonder bar to pop the roof nails to staples. Insert a starter roll of roofing { roof supply will only have this ] Or with a utility Knife cut the 3 tabs off a shingle insert remaining head lap with 6" seam offset and hold with roof cement by caulk gun. You are doing the right thing By this Gal. Do It !
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
              If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
              As long as the drip edge, felt, and first course of shingles
              were properly installed and sealed and there is no sign of
              water damage or rot it should be OK. The starter course has
              a tar strip to seal the first course of full shingles, but they can
              be sealed by hand.The starter also provides an aesthetically
              seamless appearance. Nice, but not necessary. If you need starters, you can make your
              own by cutting the tabs from any shingle, as described by killavolt.
              But the starter needs to be tarred down.
              The main thing is that water is not able to migrate under the first
              row of shingles and rot out the edge.
              I read in his post that tar paper is visible between the tabs. Tar paper will last 2 years maybe before the sun will burn through it, and another 3-5 years before the sheeting, rafter tails and fascia board are ruined. Its definatley broken.

What is the pitch of the roof by the way? A lot of porch roofs need mineral paper as opposed to shingles due to the fact the slope is not sufficient for typical composition roofing. I have seen people use shingles on 2/12 roofs, and yes it works for a while, but the life span is shortened significantly.

If the roof is more than a few years old, you will need to be very careful on how far back you bend the tabs of the shingles, and how much patience you use when you separate the tar strips. As the roof ages, the shingles become brittle and the tar strips lock into place, and typically will rip the granules out of the shingle you are working on. chances are very good you will use alot of blackjack where the tar strips have torn, I do not trust the tar to re-adhere, each tab gets a couple of blobs to make sure they dont get torn off in a wind storm. You will need to use a 3/4" or a 5/8" nail in order to avoid shiners on the underside of the sheeting. Some people dont care, but I try to ensure I dont have any showing. I don't want to grind the nails and touchup paint on the underside. Make sure your seams of you starters do not line up with your first courses seams, the whole point of staggering the seams is to help prevent water from getting its way onto the tar paper.

Iv'e been watching Homes on Holmes lately, it totally blows my mind that they put just one course of water and ice shield down, then absolutley NO tar paper.
              We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

one may be able to slip a 6" or 5" strip of tin flashing up under the shingles to the nails to work as a starter strip, I think one time to help the problem I took the tar, in a tube and filled the slots full of tar so there was more there than the tar paper, ( I realize that is not a proper fix), but in this instant it was jsut to hold off re roofing for a few years,)
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                X