X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I brace corner fence post?

The fence surrounding our pool has a big problem. The gate is mounted to a corner post which has just enough movement to cause the gate to not latch automatically, posing a danger to children if someone leaves the gate open.

Can anyone give me an idea how to make this post more rigid so it will always latch properly? Thanks.
    Here's a photo. We recently replaced the post because of corrosion damage at the base:
    If it ain't broke, I haven't seen it.

Re: How can I brace corner fence post?

Too bad the gate is hinged off the corner post and not the other side which would be stronger. Is it possible to reverse the gate? Can you rotate the gate 180 deg and mount the hinges on the other post. The latch would be upside down and i cant tell from the phot if it would work.

If the gate has to stay the way it is then can you remove the corner post and drill into the concrete so you can secure a rod in the hole with some epoxy. Then slip the post down over the rod and anchor it to the concrete using the anchors you have there now. Hilti makes an ahesive anchor system for setting anchor boltsin concrete. There are two versions, one which sets up in 30 minutes and is fully cured in about 12 hours depending on temperature. You could use a long piece of all thread rod and make some square washers that fit tightly to the id of the pole.

Another idea aould be to shift the gate over so it is no longer at the corner. Remove the section of fence to the right of the gate and put it on the left side. The gate will be much sturdier that way.
    Last edited by Bob D.; 08-17-2012, 08:54 PM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

it appears to be steel posts, (one problem is there bolted instead of put into the concrete) but that is not easy to change, what I would suggest is to have some one come and extend the post on both the gate and the latch and then a cross bar across the top (if arched it would possibly look a little better, the picture I am posting is of wood but I think you get the idea,

do a google image search for arched gate or arched garden gate for more ideas,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was out checking fence, and when I came in I thought of some "better pictures for you", they make protable panels or fences for live stock, and when you get a panel with a gate in it, they have a farme around the gate area, I will try to post some pictures of some varous designes, (note the better are well reinforced and corner angles for a more ridgid system,
      Attached Files
      Last edited by BHD; 08-18-2012, 12:43 PM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

the only other way I can see is to set an additional post to the out side of the corner on the left of the picture, and set a post in concrete and then tie the corner post to it either a direct weld of some plates or bolt it I would use a fairly thick tube to use for the post, 1/4" and set it at least 24" deep or more, preferably 36"

the picture below is not exactly what I was thinking but close, I would for your walk in gate set is as close as possible to the existing fence, I would set it about 6" to 10" out and then weld some extensions over to the existing post, or have them so one can bolt them on, (if the post is light and will rot off again, then bolting make replacement easer, (like I said I would use a thick wall tube, 1/4 to 3/8 wall tube and cap it or fill with cement, basically your setting a solid post and then supporting the wobbling post with it,
        Attached Files
        Last edited by BHD; 08-18-2012, 12:57 PM.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I think your arch over the gate is a easy fix and one that will hold up over time BHD.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          ---------
          ---------

Comment

another twist on the additional post,

my first thought was to set one out some distance and then brace over to the existing,

but if one makes the steel tube post up (could be off site) and have it cut and welded up a jog using 45 degree angle or appropriate angle near the base where it comes out of the ground, and then aligns up with the existing post, with a few bolts holes and bolts, set in concrete,

It would not alter the look (much) or make the brace on the fence look like it was a total after thought
            Attached Files
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

The process of installing corner post is easy. These are some of the tips which can be of some help to you.
              1. First dig one three foot deep hole at each end of the fence
              2. Then place a six to eight inch diameter post into the hole
              3. Firmly tamp the dirt back into the hole around the post. The dirt should be well compacted, especially at the base of the hole. Some folks will replace the dirt with ready mix concrete, which will absorb ground moisture and set up hard.
              4. Run a line between the two corners of the fence run.
              5. Using the same technique, place a second post eight feet inside of the corner, along the line that you have run.
              6. Install a horizontal cross brace
              7. Run a diagonal wire from the base of the corner post to the top of the cross brace
              8. Tension the wire
              Last edited by jhonson; 08-24-2012, 07:38 AM.
              New Roofing

Comment

Originally posted by jhonson View Post
                The process of installing corner post is easy. These are some of the tips which can be of some help to you.
                1. First dig one three foot deep hole at each end of the fence
                2. Then place a six to eight inch diameter post into the hole
                3. Firmly tamp the dirt back into the hole around the post. The dirt should be well compacted, especially at the base of the hole. Some folks will replace the dirt with ready mix concrete, which will absorb ground moisture and set up hard.
                4. Run a line between the two corners of the fence run.
                5. Using the same technique, place a second post eight feet inside of the corner, along the line that you have run.
                6. Install a horizontal cross brace
                7. Run a diagonal wire from the base of the corner post to the top of the cross brace
                8. Tension the wire
                I do not think she is building a barbed wire stock fence, (but by the way if you have some time you can come over and practice you corner building skills as I have about dozen corners that either need to be built or replaced, in my barbed wire fences,
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                  I do not think she is building a barbed wire stock fence, (but by the way if you have some time you can come over and practice you corner building skills as I have about dozen corners that either need to be built or replaced, in my barbed wire fences,
                  I would take jhonson's posts as from someone who probably does not have first hand experiences doing this stuff for real. I think all of them are copy and paste from other websites. An almost identical article on fence building can be found on the Gateway Farm Alpacas website. The advice on ceramic tile removal is a copy and paste from ehow.com

Comment

You could just use a gate wheel to support the gate.

4 in. Gate Caster with Adjustable Spring Bracket-9785 at The Home Depot
                    SSG, U.S. Army
                    Retired
                    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

i guess they did not like anyones ideas as there has been no response or a thanks for helping out. Not that I or we need one but at this point we are just spit-balling since there has been no feedback on the suitability of any proposed fix.
                      ---------------
                      ---------------
                      ---------
                      ---------

Comment

Working...
                      X