Door knobs and locks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    Looking to replace mine on the exterior doors. Any good brands or key points to look at when buying a lockset?
    Schlage would be good.. Yale locks are also okey..

Comment

When it comes to choosing the lockset for your home, you need to ensure aesthetics, material and quality.

Comment

as a locksmith i recommend getting a lockset that will suite your security needs
      Schlage does make some good dead bolt and knobsets
      but if its quality your looking for then you should choose Weiser or Sargent lock sets
      they are a bit pricey but worth the cost in durability
      Titan and Quickset are ok if you want it on the cheap but i dont recommend them at all
      @Bob D. you are correct also re-enforcing door frames can prevent kick in but another trick is using a long stroke deadbolt to prevent frame jacking.
      also lighted doorways!

for those considering burgler alarms DO NOT GET WIRELESS REMOTES these signals can be monitored and duplicated.

the best burgler alarm is one that they cannot detect or see evidence of.

consider all the methods of detection: infra-red, sound, vibration, magnetic reed switches, co2 detection, motion detection, micro-switch configurations, cctv, and loop circuits
      there are a lot of ways to configure these systems
      shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gnuuser View Post
        ... but if its quality your looking for then you should choose Weiser or Sargent lock sets
        they are a bit pricey but worth the cost in durability...
        Do the Weiser and Sargent locksets fit in the standard entry door template for easy replacement of conventional locks? Or do you need to drill out larger holes?

Comment

Originally posted by AverageHomeowner View Post
          Do the Weiser and Sargent locksets fit in the standard entry door template for easy replacement of conventional locks? Or do you need to drill out larger holes?
          they fit the standard door template and the backset is adjustable weiser and sargent are high end locksets so the wont be low cost (easily approaches $150.00 to $200.00)
          Ive serviced and repinned (changed key codes) on some sargents that were still in service and had been installed before i was born. (and im 54)
          these locks were still functioning smoothly

some of the high end weiser locksets require the use of a torque wrench style screwdriver in order to be covered by the warranty!
          shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

Comment

When I replaced my locks (on a residence, not a commercial building), I got Schlage because they were a good balance of quality and cost. But it's good to know what the higher-end brands are, like Weiser and Sargent.

My understanding is that when an entry door is broken into by a criminal (and assuming you have a modern lockset that's not cheap junk), it's more likely the wood of the door jamb or door itself will fail and the lock remains intact. So my impression has been that you're better off investing money in reinforcing your door and jamb rather than upgrading the lock itself. When you've gone on service calls to homes that have been burglarized, has this been your observation?

Comment

Originally posted by AverageHomeowner View Post
              When I replaced my locks (on a residence, not a commercial building), I got Schlage because they were a good balance of quality and cost. But it's good to know what the higher-end brands are, like Weiser and Sargent.

My understanding is that when an entry door is broken into by a criminal (and assuming you have a modern lockset that's not cheap junk), it's more likely the wood of the door jamb or door itself will fail and the lock remains intact. So my impression has been that you're better off investing money in reinforcing your door and jamb rather than upgrading the lock itself. When you've gone on service calls to homes that have been burglarized, has this been your observation?
              yes i have usually by a crowbar or jack
              getting a good reinforced door is fine but the frame the door jamb is secured to must be able to resist jacking
              when building the frame surrounding a door i usually use 2x6 risers and sill with a 1/8 steep plate between them this prevents jacking the frame out.
              and when you add an 1/8 plate between the door casing for the deadbolt to pass through you have an entrance that would require a bulldozer to break down.

one thing though the police hate doors like that because they cant ram them down with out considerable effort

usually with the cheaper locks a large pair of channellocks can twist the knobset apart with no problem and a lot less noise than kicking the door down
              this is one reason o recommend better quality knobsets
              schlage does make some high end locks that are quite good and require a special spanner wrench to install and service
              Last edited by gnuuser; 04-04-2015, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X