X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door knobs and locks

Looking to replace mine on the exterior doors. Any good brands or key points to look at when buying a lockset?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Door knobs and locks SCHLEGE ONLY

Yes ,over the years I've had 2 good locksmith friends. Both said They wish every other lock Manuf. would disapear
    and leave it to SCHLEGE. Baldwin is good and they have some of the most $ beautiful locks. Baldwin N schlege can be keyed alike. I always Re key a customers home so one key works. The exception is if they have routine house cleaners. Then I key the front separate dead bolt different. Cleaning day alarm is off and main entrance door lock is
    unbolted. NEVER KWICKSET !! CRAPTY CRAP CRAP good luck
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

What Tool said!!!

Comment

got tired of the emergency phone call from joey breaking off keys in the lock. i think she would use the key to turn the lock and then continue to push the door open with phoebe in her arms.

so 1 day i surprised her and bought an electronic lock that uses a key fob or a security code.

now even phoebe can lock the door.

for $150.00 i no longer have to run home and pick a broken key out of the door. of course it still uses a key if you want to. plus it has multiple codes for help or delivery people. i don't use the remote, just the keypad.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          got tired of the emergency phone call from joey breaking off keys in the lock. i think she would use the key to turn the lock and then continue to push the door open with phoebe in her arms.

so 1 day i surprised her and bought an electronic lock that uses a key fob or a security code.

now even phoebe can lock the door.

for $150.00 i no longer have to run home and pick a broken key out of the door. of course it still uses a key if you want to. plus it has multiple codes for help or delivery people. i don't use the remote, just the keypad.

rick.
          We've been thinking about something like this for the house. Can you program it with a one-time code that would open the door only once?
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

i tried looking online for the answer. but i can't find it. you can program up to 16 individual codes and then erase 1 at a time or all 16 at once. along with up to 8 key fobs with 2 already included.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I have never broken a key in a lock...what does Joey have against locks?
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

problem is she has her hands full and at the time phoebe in 1 hand and the keys in the other. she would use the key to turn and push the door open. the keys joey use are the fancy mickey mouse over sized key blanks.

she prefers her locks with bagels and cream cheese

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  problem is she has her hands full and at the time phoebe in 1 hand and the keys in the other. she would use the key to turn and push the door open. the keys joey use are the fancy mickey mouse over sized key blanks.

she prefers her locks with bagels and cream cheese

rick.
                  It's suppose to be a 2 part exercise. Key unlocks cylinder , rotate knob to unlatch and open !
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

you have joeys email. you tell her

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by plumber rick View Post
                      you have joeys email. You tell her

Rick.
                      that's your job

Comment

Hi,
                        Thanks for posting your question. I feel the best brand for door knobs and locks is Schlage. I have been a frequent user of this brand, and i must say it is a good brand. You can also have a look at Falcon Locks. Though i haven't yet used this brand, but i have heard that its door lock products are good.
                        New Roofing

Comment

Schlage Door Locks experience

I recently replaced my entry door locks with Schlage and thought I'd add a few comments on things I learned in the process. This info applies to standard keyed residential locks only. As a disclaimer, I'm not a locksmith.

- Schlage is one of the top brands. But the ANSI Grade of the lock is really what you need to consider when selecting a lock. Grade 1 is considered the strongest and most durable, and grade 3 is considered the minimum acceptable lock for residential use. Most of the cheapo locks are grade 3, and you have to look closely on the product packaging to find where the grade is shown as these grade 3 locks don't look much different in appearance than any of the better locks. The entry lock (the door knob) is considered more functional than anything else, to keep your door properly closed. The deadbolt is considered the real security device. For best security, your deadbolt should be grade 1 and your entry lock grade 2. Remember, brand is secondary to grade.

- Schlage has an extensive assortment of lock models, but only a small subset is carried in-stock by most retail stores, including the big box stores. So check the manufacturer's website to see all the styles available. You may need to order your selection from the store catalog, or simply purchase it online (as I did) with good results. The online store I used offered to key-alike my entry lock and deadbolt at no extra charge.

- Schage's entry lock (the door knob) has a bit of controversy associated with it. The model that retail stores normally carry in stock, and is found in their entry/deadlock combo packs, is known as F51. This model has an emergency exit feature to enable quick egress from inside the home, which means that the inside knob will always turn to allow you to open the door, even if it is locked. While some customers like this, others have posted strong objections on the Schlage support forum indicating they have locked themselves out because they expected the door to be unlocked if they could open it from the inside. These customers should have purchased Schlage model F54 which keeps the inside knob fixed when the button is turned to lock mode. I purchased the F54 for this reason, because I like the reassurance of the inside knob being fixed when locked.

- When upgrading from my old grade 3 locks to the new grade 1 deadbolt and grade 2 entry lock, I needed to perform some light mortising to make room for the new, beefy locks. A couple minutes with a small wood chisel worked.

- Strike plates come with longer screws than you probably had before. 3" screws penetrate the stud and provide the holding force needed to prevent kick-ins.

- I don't know if this is really true, but I'll pass it along. If you are making additional duplicate keys, professional locksmiths claim that you will get a better key from their shop than you get at your local hardware store. Locksmiths claim that customers frequently come into their shops with hardware store keys that just don't work. The better quality machines used by locksmiths, with more frequent calibration, create a higher quality duplicate key.

- Another point I'll mention but can't verify myself is that big box stores will often pressure manufacturers to reduce costs by cutting corners. So the same brand name lock sold in the big box store may have a plastic part in it, while the standard OEM product will have a more durable metal part instead. If this is true, you're better off paying a little more to purchase the item from a reputable distributor than the big box.

- Finally, and the pros on this forum already know this, use a proper lubricant on locks. I used to be a member of the all-in-one WD40 magic tonic club until I learned that WD40 is best used for cleaning and loosening stuck parts. Despite what it says on the WD40 label, its lubricating properties only last until it dries in a few hours or days depending on the environment. For locks, I used Tri-Flow which is inexpensive and found almost everywhere WD40 is sold.

My simple lock replacement was not so simple. Hope this info helps others with a lock replacement project.

Comment

Re: Schlage Door Locks experience

I'll go along with schlage, lockset and keyed deadbolt, in addition to sliding deadbolt. I think unless you have a burglar who is going to pick your lock, you need to reenforce your frame. Most homeowners would be surprised at how easy it is to kick in their "locked" door.

Comment

Re: Schlage Door Locks experience

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                              I'll go along with schlage, lockset and keyed deadbolt, in addition to sliding deadbolt. I think unless you have a burglar who is going to pick your lock, you need to reenforce your frame. Most homeowners would be surprised at how easy it is to kick in their "locked" door.
                              you are right Frank. It's one of the first things I have checked each time we have moved, right after changing the locks of course. I look at the hinge screws too and replace them with longer ones that reach into the framing not just the jamb. I like to take the casing off and see what's inside and beaf it up by cutting a piece of hardwood to fill the gap and then screw it into the studs, then drill out to make room for the bolt to extend fully if need be. A piece of 10 or 12 ga. sheet metal slipped in there can strengthen it up too without being seen. its tough to kick your way through even that thin sheet metal if you anchor it well.
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X