X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broken concrete post

I have a small deck that is supported by two posts, attached to 4 foot deep concrete piers. I noticed that the deck was shifting, and dug up a section of one of the posts. Sure enough, one of the piers was broken about 18 inches down (meaning that the other 2.5 feet is still buried).

The question is, how do I fix it? If I remove the broken section of concrete, can I place a sonotube on top of the buried section and pour new concrete over the old concrete, or will this new joint fail later on down the road? It would be a REALLY hard job to dig the whole thing out (all shovel work), if it at all possible.

Any ideas?

Re: broken concrete post

If it is not below frost level it will lift it up and cause problems.
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
      If it is not below frost level it will lift it up and cause problems.
      Maybe I was unclear - i'll be more specific.

The frost line here is 4 feet, and the concrete pier is buried four feet deep. The reason the deck is shifting is because the pier is broken about 18 inches below grade (I dug it part way out). If I remove the 18 inches on top, can I pour new concrete on top of the old concrete and then backfill?

Comment

You will end up with a cold joint, depending on the way the angle, the way it broke it might be stable. I would dig it up and do it right.

Comment

I would drill some holes and put some rebar down in the broken pier, but it would probably be best to dig up the rest of the existing pier, and replace all, and add some rebar to the new pier.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

If you were to pour a patch around the broken section, it too would have to be dug down below frost level.
            AllurePlumbing.com
            • leak detection
            • drain cleaning
            • utility locating
            • and other specialties.

Comment

as bhd has mentioned is the least complicated way to go. as long as the existing pier is sound you would be ok. but if the old pier has no rebar, i would dig it out and build a rebar cage and sono tube.

if you do pin it with rebar, make sure to drill and clean then dowel in the rebar with the proper epoxy. you got 1 more month of decent weather to get it done.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Crappy - I really don't want to have to dig it all up. It requires dissasmebling most of the deck, and after all that, there is a lot of shovel work. To post is broken at an angle, which probably makes the problem worse. I called a guy eith a digger, but he said it's too tight to get the post hole digger in.

I thought perhaps that I could drill holes in the buried section, and stand rebar into it (epoxied). Then place a sonotube ontop, and pour new concrete on top. Sounds like the right course of action is to remove the whole peir, however.

Thanks guys. any advice on removing it?

Comment

Any way to dig a hole near it with a skid steer or post hole digger and slap a supporting beam in there somehow? I am guessing this area will be an eyesore if done this way?

On a different forum there is a plumber that bought a tool that uses air to pulverize the ground with a lance and scoop it out with a shovel easy as pie.
                  AllurePlumbing.com
                  • leak detection
                  • drain cleaning
                  • utility locating
                  • and other specialties.

Comment

We make concrete repairs everyday. We would after testing the concrete with a swiss hammer just put up a temporary shore for the deck ( no need to disassemble the deck), cut the pier off 2" below the lowest point of the crack, drill 6" deep x 9/16" dia. holes, epoxy in #4 (#13 metric) grade 60 rebar, put a sonotube around it , pour with 5,000 psi with air-entrainment concrete , pour it a tad bit low( it is easier to shim up than too try to lower the deck) & place a saddle bracket in the wet concrete or cast an insert in it & bolt a bracket later.

What dia. is your pier ? What is the size of your deck? Do you have anything heavy (like a hot tub) on the deck ?

Your failure sounds like it was a compression failure. Likely caused by to heavy of a load for the pier or pour quality concrete.

Comment

Originally posted by MR.FUDD View Post
                      We make concrete repairs everyday. We would after testing the concrete with a swiss hammer just put up a temporary shore for the deck ( no need to disassemble the deck), cut the pier off 2" below the lowest point of the crack, drill 6" deep x 9/16" dia. holes, epoxy in #4 (#13 metric) grade 60 rebar, put a sonotube around it , pour with 5,000 psi with air-entrainment concrete , pour it a tad bit low( it is easier to shim up than too try to lower the deck) & place a saddle bracket in the wet concrete or cast an insert in it & bolt a bracket later.

What dia. is your pier ? What is the size of your deck? Do you have anything heavy (like a hot tub) on the deck ?

Your failure sounds like it was a compression failure. Likely caused by to heavy of a load for the pier or pour quality concrete.
                      Nothing too heavy on there - certainly no hot tubs! I will measure the diameter of the post, and snap a photo and repost.

Comment

if you can't get into the location with a bobcat, try getting one of the hydro vac companies (look under excavating contractors in YP) to give you a quote. As long as they can get in with their hoses they can suck out around the pile to give you access.

Comment

Working...
                        X