Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Puttin' up a garage...litle rafter help,please?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puttin' up a garage...litle rafter help,please?

24' x 32', 2 bay with more than ample room for storage above. Really, it's a barn with two parking spots.

Anyway, rafter tables are giving me fits.

The plan is to have a dormer on both sides 18' x 24'. On either side the roof is an 11:12 gable.

Now, with 2x10" rafters the ridge height above the floor is 11' 8 5/16" as per calculations.

Given that height, I am trying to determine the pitch for the dormers. Ideally it would be a 5:12 pitch.

So, if I make my outside wall height (at top plate) 6' 8 5/16" does this set my rafters at my desired pitch automatically?

This is a change of plan so there are no prints to refer to...

Re: Puttin' up a garage...litle rafter help,please?

If I understand your info, the answer is yes. (The 18x24 dormer info is confusing, but I am assuming your ii' 8 5/16' is determined by the vertical height of rafter material is from the seat cut (birdsmouth to some) is 8 5/16".)

Comment

Well, I'll tell you what; after quite a bit more research the reality is this: my initial thought is spot on if the rafter were actually 12", no birdsmouth-essentially a straight line.

The reality is that with the wall height being dictated by the rafter pitch in this case, said height is half the rise of an 11:12 or 5' 5".

This is a combination of rafter size(2x10) and seat cut dimensions, not a rule of thumb as far as I can tell.

Once sin & cosin rear their heads, my eyes glaze over!

All this to the best of my ability to discern & am certainly welcome yo further input/info.

Comment

The size of the rafter (i.e. 2x10) has nothing to do with it. I don't know how you came up with the latest numbers, but if you PM me with a sketch of your floor plan, I can tell you exactly what you want to know. FYI, I taught roof framing to apprentices for many years.

Comment

Sorry ,I've been laying out rafters for about 50 Years now. Either You know, or hire a proficient journeyman Carpenter. Not meaning to bust Em, but You're over Your head !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Not busted ,not in over my head either.

My second post is spot on, put the rafters up a few days ago.

As mentioned, this was a design change and time was critical.

The key to the calculation is the fall of the rafter when working from an established ridge height to determine a plate(wall) height.

Thanks for the input.

Up next: to Zip roof or not...

Comment

Glad it all worked out !
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
              X