X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CWSmith
    replied
    Re: Condensation on windows

Humidity condenses wherever there is a marked temperature change. The warmer air holds the moisture and it will condense against the colder surface. It happens on cold beer cans in the summer and on your windows (insulated or not) in the first cold days of season. As the humidity of the air balances over a few days, there should be no condensate UNLESS you are having some kind of moisture problem within the house itself.

For example, if you've got a leaking basement or other water ground water problem or even if you're introducing a good amount of moisture into the living space. For example, everytime my wife makes spaghetti, the kitchen windows fog up in the winter... less so in immediately adjoining rooms. But because the house is well ventilated, that moisture will disappear in an hour or so.

If the house is sealed up too tightly, you may need to address the issue. While a house should not leak heat drastically, it is essential that there is some "breathing"... otherwise moisture from showers, cooking, and just human habitation will introduce moisture to a point where it can be noticeable and possibly a problem.

A good example perhaps is our other home which is rather small at 1440 sq. ft. Normal occupation and constant entrance and exit keep the house fairly well balanced, even though the basement is a far less than desireable. However, at one point last winter we were gone for three weeks and we failed to crack open any windows. The temperature had dropped during this period and when we returned, the first thing I noticed (before even unlocking the front door) was that the windows were fogged up. Sure enough, the house smelled slightly musty. Just having it completely closed up wasn't too smart.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Leave a comment:

• toolaholic
    replied

Hawk, I was in the replacement window Buss. for years . I was also a pella cert. Cont. At night ,two people in a bedroom ,give out, something like a Quart of water from breathing.
    This condensates on the window glass . Crack open a window, problem solved ! This is a very common complaint ! Info from Milgard windows.

Leave a comment:

• HVAC HAWK
    replied

windows are insulated i may need to check crawl space again
    thanks

Leave a comment:

• huckster4
    replied

I had this problem with a new house i had built back in 2003. What i found was moisture in crawl space.
    I installed a plastic barrier on the ground, under my house. Problem solved. Might be your problem too.
    Good luck
    Huck.

Leave a comment:

• lreops
    replied

Are they single pane glass or duel pane glass windows.

Ron

Leave a comment:

• Gettinit
    replied

Maybe just poor window construction. Maybe the relative humidity is too high in the house.

Leave a comment:

• Frankiarmz
    replied

I think it's humidity in the air condensating on the cold glass (Anderson, or not). Check the humidity inside the house and run a dehumidifier to see if it helps, but be careful not to dry it out too much.
    I'll bet having a fire going dries out the air.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X