X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HVAC HAWK
    started a topic Condensation on windows

Condensation on windows

I just moved into a house in Maine and it has Anderson windows and now its getting cold out i see a little water on the window in the morning . The house is not to hot at night maybe 63* .
    In the summer time i was able to keep the house cool with a 8000 btu window unit ,so the house is well insulated . If we have a fire at night and it gets to 72* then in the morning it is no lower then 65* .
    I need to look in the morning when i have the wood stove on at night if there is still the same amount of water as i had when we have 1 wall propane heater on . the heater does have an exhaust and also outside air in .
    We do have a crawl space and it is dry down there
    Does any one have any idea why there is water on my windows
    thanks

• ChuckDee
    replied
    Re: Condensation on windows

Originally posted by lreops View Post
    Maybe a portable Dehumidifier (around $100.00) would be a choice to consider.

Ron

I just purchased one that uses a standard water bottle. Very effective!

Leave a comment:

• HVAC HAWK
    replied

Its not inside the window but at the bottom on the inside .Its getting better now

Originally posted by PA-Woodchuck View Post
    If it's only on a few windows maybe the "seal" is faulty between the glas panes. I have one window with that problem

Leave a comment:

• PA-Woodchuck
    replied

If it's only on a few windows maybe the "seal" is faulty between the glas panes. I have one window with that problem

Leave a comment:

• HVAC HAWK
    replied

I wanted to firs see if the window had a problem because it only happens on some windows . Im not going to run a dehumidifier . I do crack a window all the time now because if the house is that tight I need make up air for the wood stove .As it is getting colder out it is also getting dryer and its not as bad in the house

Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post
    HVAC HAWK... you seriously need an explanation on window condensation?

The next time you're confused about where the moisture is coming from, close your mouth and stop breathing...

Install a HRV like the fellow 2 posts up said... you are an HVAC guy aren't you?

Leave a comment:

• toolaholic
    replied

[QUOTE=dlarrivee;387690]HVAC HAWK... you seriously need an explanation on window condensation?

The next time you're confused about where the moisture is coming from, close your mouth and stop breathing...

Install a HRV like the fellow 2 posts up said... you are an HVAC guy aren't you?[/QUOT YEA BROTHER , YOU HAVE IT RIGHT !

Leave a comment:

• toolaholic
    replied

Crack a window at night !

Leave a comment:

• dlarrivee
    replied

HVAC HAWK... you seriously need an explanation on window condensation?

Install a HRV like the fellow 2 posts up said... you are an HVAC guy aren't you?

Leave a comment:

• belmanliving
    replied

Hawk, from scientific point of view any closed space with any moisture content in atmosphere around would lead to condensation of moisture in the form of vapor. Same has occurred in your case. Hawk, you must have seen that during winters, when you complete close off all the windows of your car, the moisture condenses on it, the reason being what I hav mentioned before. So to get rid of this, you could just make your glass of windows slide down a little so as to stop humidification and condensation on your window. Hope you got the answer now.

Leave a comment:

• franklin pug
    replied

My previous home had a major issue with fogging windows in the cold season. My second home had an HRV installed when we moved in. It is great - no fog or moisture at all on the windows. If I ever move to another home, I will have one installed if there is not one present.

Leave a comment:

• seanny deep
    replied

Leave the bathroom fan or rangehood on for the night and see if you still have an issue I guess that your house is over sealed and there's no place for the house to breathe. Just a wild guess thou.

Leave a comment:

• Sarah Wold
    replied

Use a dehumidifier to control the humidity. It can help you to control the level of moisture in your home and prevent condensation. It can even eliminate problems of mold growth and musty odors.

Leave a comment:

• HVAC HAWK
    replied

I need to see if there is a vapor barrier . Crack we have not used the wall heaters and i do have detectors , the heaters are closed chambers .
    It is not a lot of moisture so a dehumidifier may be to much but i will check the humidity .
    Thanks all

Leave a comment:

• lreops
    replied

Maybe a portable Dehumidifier (around $100.00) would be a choice to consider.

Ron

Leave a comment:

• plumberscrack
    replied

One of the by products of poor combustion is moisture. Double check that the wall unit is working properly. Wall unit heaters especially propane ones scare me. Got a carbon monoxcide detector?
    Last edited by plumberscrack; 10-22-2012, 04:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X