Replacing flush doors with six-panel doors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing flush doors with six-panel doors

I would like to replace the flush (hollow core) doors in my house with six panel doors. I thought I could buy just the six panel doors without frames, finish them to match the trim and route hinge pockets but the six panel doors are 3/16" wider than the flush doors that are currently installed. Is there a separate width standard for six panel vs. flush doors or do widths change based on manufacturers?

The carpenter who installed the flush doors did a very good job installing them - they are all plumb and do not open/close on their own so I'd like to leave the existing frames in place and route the hinge pockets on the new door to fit the existing frames vs. cutting them out and using a pre-hung door.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Re: Replacing flush doors with six-panel doors

You should be able to measure your existing slabs and order new slabs accordingly. You may have to trim them height wise if they have ever been trimmed due to flooring thicknesses.

Comment

Alphacowboy,

Thanks for the information. When I mentioned to the Menards clerk about the difference in width, he did not say anything about ordering special width doors. My guess is that is not something the box stores will handle but I'll ask around.

I'll also see if I can find out where the builder purchased the flush doors - maybe the same source has the matching width 6-panel doors.

Comment

Its not unusual to have to trim door blanks. You can do it on a table saw or even with a worm drive with a good thin kerf blade.
        Charles

Comment

Having doors made to a custom size will cost you a mint. The six panel doors you have are the actual width of the opening--i.e. a 2'6" wide door will measure exactly 30"--the same as the jamb (frame) You have to fit them to the opening. If you original installer had not done a good job, you would need that width in order to custom fit them to the openings. In the days before prehung doors, all doors came that way and the carpenter planed them to fit.

Comment

We had a door to a bed room that was off 1 and 1/2" top to bottom, and it was a 4 panel door that was trimed to fit, at least there is enough to work with with a real wood panel door.
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I've read your post, more than a few times, and can't determine where this 3/16" is. You also mention "Flush".

Being a solid door and if 3/16" is wider than the jam, a table saw and 3/32" trimmed off each side would fix the problem.

But, your word Flush got me to thinking if you were talking thickness, If that is the case, the Jam's stops and hinges would need to be relocated for the extra thickness.

Ron

Comment

Sorry, I didnt mean to say order custom milled slabs, I ment find the correct sizes and if needs be, trim them down to fit. Obviously, they need to be bigger than your existing slabs, and not smaller for that to work.

Comment

I hang a lot of doors. I have the door jigs and experience. Suggest You find a REAL door shop for Your purchase. You # each old door, and write on them,with a magic marker the following info. Any wedge-shaped voids between doors N Jambs or floor. Add 1/4" here and maybe a 0 on other edge. You will be soo glad You did this! It would be best If they came out and marked them selves. Door hanging is a great skill , not learned on 1st attempt !
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Apparently, different door manufacturers produce to different widths according to the building supply house near me. I gave them the widths and they are checking to see if they can find doors for me.

I'm leary on cuting a door down - it looks like the pine 6-panel doors are veneered.

Comment

If you're going to stain/varnish them it matters. If you are painting, no worries. The doors have 1/2" on either side so you can trim them. Be aware if the door is handed and has a bevel on the latch side.

Comment

I am going to stain & urethane them.

Comment

I also want to replace my flush door but i don't know any good place in Canada because i recently shifted here if anyone know here than contact here back good suggestion would be appreciated..?

Comment

Working...
                          X