Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Educate me on a new metal roof?

Greetings.

It is finally time to replace my roof, and I intend to go with a metal roof. The problem is, although I know that I prefer steel over aluminum or copper, that is about all I know about buying a metal roof. I would be having a contractor do the work. Could someone please provide some insight as to the different types of metal roof material, which is best, and who are some of the better manufacturors?

Thanks a bunch.

Re: Educate me on a new metal roof?

IN out part of the country when one talks about a metal roof, it is building tin like is used in pole barns, (usually colored, but the same process as if it was going on a pole barn, using screws and trim to make a roof system), there are some who use the hidden fasteners like in standing seam products,

this is one of the major companies that supply the builders in our area, is metal sales, there are many other as well, the normal for here is the strong panel, and pro panel II, some use the standing seam type, on some buildings, you can see the profiles of the tin they sell at the link, Metal Sales

I have only seen metal shingles on the old RR depot, and on a few other commercial buildings

I would most likely suggest you find a good contractor that is familiar with the products and then let him order the materials as most is ordered and cut to length, and if you have valleys or hips or some thing odd, he may want to order a length that would make the job easier,
    Last edited by BHD; 10-29-2012, 12:41 AM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

If the roof has much pitch at all
      It puts a end to a plumber cleaning your drains down the roof vent its slippery on a good day

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
        If the roof has much pitch at all
        It puts a end to a plumber cleaning your drains down the roof vent its slippery on a good day
        you put the ladder hooks on the top end of the ladder and hook it over the ridge of the roof, most have wheels on the one side to push the ladder up, and flip it over,
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

50 year roof. Have done them, and have Me Gerard shear and brake
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
            you put the ladder hooks on the top end of the ladder and hook it over the ridge of the roof, most have wheels on the one side to push the ladder up, and flip it over,
            Thanks But thats way to much work I'm going inside to take some thing apart . price goes up

Comment

IMHO I think metal roofs look like crap on houses. There are several that popped up around here in recent years and they totally destroy the look of a residential home

Leave them for the barns & commercial buildings.

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                IMHO I think metal roofs look like crap on houses. There are several that popped up around here in recent years and they totally destroy the look of a residential home
                Leave them for the barns & commercial buildings.
                I tend to disagree,
                If it is a house it looks like a house, if it is a barn it looks like a barn,

some of the nicer homes in our area have steel roofs,

Google image search for metal roofed homes,
                http://www.google.com/search?q=metal...w=1280&bih=823

If I could have afforded it I would have tined my house, but at the time I could buy asphalt shingles for less money and I had no insurance money to help, my SIL tinned there home, looks good,

95% of the time you never even notice the roof material,
                Last edited by BHD; 10-29-2012, 09:26 PM.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                  I tend to disagree,
                  If it is a house it looks like a house, if it is a barn it looks like a barn,

some of the nicer homes in our area have steel roofs,

Google image search for metal roofed homes,
                  metal roof homes - Google Search

If I could have afforded it I would have tined my house, but at the time I could buy asphalt shingles for less money and I had no insurance money to help, my SIL tinned there home, looks good,

95% of the time you never even notice the roof material,

I would expect nothing less coming from a farmer

Comment

Farmers feed your family ! And few have 1% of their skills !!
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Metal roofs look great ! You're a roof snob !

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                        Farmers feed your family ! And few have 1% of their skills !!

I agree, it wasn't meant to be a knock on farmers I was just sayin'..................

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                          Metal roofs look great ! You're a roof snob !

Yes, they do look great on barns, out buildings and such

Comment

Sorry for the late response, and thanks for the replies.

After sifting through a few roofers, I believe I found an outstanding gent, whose family has been doing home improvements for years, and comes highly recommended. We start Monday, if the weather still looks good. The metal will come from Union Corrugating, with a membrane underlayment. Needless to say, I have specified that the old roof be torn off, and any bad plywood replaced. I will let y'awl know how it pans out.

Comment

Many homeowners prefer to use metal roofing as it has many advantages over other types of roofing materials. It can provide a solid, durable and attractive finish to any modern house. Metal roofing coated in granite is one kind, which looks like asphalt shingles. Coated metal roofs are virtually indestructible, 100% recyclable, and will reflect heat instead of absorbing it.

Comment

Working...
                              X