X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drywall Dust

Is there a reason why a shop vac with a drywall filter is not as good as a two stage vacuum? Bosch makes a vac with a two stage motor to be used with their ceiling/wall sander, but of course it $300+. Seems like for a limited use application, the shop vac with a small hand held device could do it. Any comments. This is a great forum, BTW.
    Steve

Re: Drywall Dust

I recently drywalled 1/2 of my basement (1000 sq-ft) and used my shop vac with the pleated filter (looks similar to an old style car air filter) without any issues. I swept most of the dust with a broom and used the shop vac to finish. I could tell when the filter was plugged as the unit lost most of the suction. I used my air compressor to clean the filter and the suction was restored. After I was done with the drywall, I replaced the filter. When I finish the remaining areas, I will use the shop vac in the same manner without hesitation.

I tried the shop vac drywall bags about 15 years ago and burned up the motor...

Comment

I jsut use my old shop vac with the pleated filter, on dry wall dust, and most any other kind of dust as well,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I've done a few projects using a shop vac with the drywall bags, and the cleanstream filter. I found the filter alone got clogged too quickly. I left the cleanstream on with the drywall bag as a 2nd line of filtration with no issues. I used the shop vac brand drywall sander attachment. The other thing i did to improve dust collection was to drill a series of holes into the sander pad an use drywall sanding mesh. My vacuum is still running strong. I don't know if it matters or not, but I bought the vac in the 90's and it's the contractor series with the stainless steel drum.

Comment

Many people are becoming more and more concerned with dust. The worst kind of dust for your health is the stuff you have no chance of seeing. It falls in the 0.3 - 0.5 micron range.

Many woodworkers have declared war on dust, and this is a good thing. If you are using a single stage vac, you may want to use a "dust deputy" to turn your single stager into a 2 stager. It keeps your filters clean, and therefor the suction stays high and the filtration stays excellent. You can get the whole kit for about 80 dollars, and it can be installed with pretty much any decent shop vac.

A good respirator is also a smart idea. Check out 3M, I have a respirator from them and it is fantastic. Its the 7500 series I think.

Comment

Working...
          X