Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How thick should a kitchen subfloor be?

My kitchen floor has 2 levels of ply wood, one is 1/4" thick and the other on top of it is 1/2" thick. After doing a tiny bit of reading I found that kitchen subfloors are supposed to be really thick? The problem is that the 1/2 " plywood doesnt go under the cabinets so it causes a HUGE problem when taking the dish washer out for repairs or replacement. We already messed up one floor moving it once, I would really like to prevent that in the future with this new floor. I have no idea what to do to be honest.

I was going to have the contractor remove the 1/2" ply wood but if its going to cause some sort of structural problem I would really rather not remove it, but if its not going to then thats the first thing hes going to do. This all starts first thing tomorrow morning 11/8/12 9 am so I really have to get it together and know what I want/am doing.

My husband isnt really involved in this remodel so if there is a fail, its completely on me.

Advise would really be helpful, thanks.

Re: How thick should a kitchen subfloor be?

My house was built in 86'.

Comment

3/4 inch is standard, nothing less would be structurally safe.

Comment

put some 1/2" under the dish washer, to level the floor, but If I was redoing the kitchen, cabinets and all I will fill in the areas with the second layer, and then over lay that with at least a 1/2 layer, if not 3/4"

(I would not remove the 1/2"), unless your replacing it with 3/4"

most any thing I have ever worked with was 3/4" sub floor, either, ply wood. solid wood or chip board that was for sub floor use, was once
        and then many times a 3/4" overlayment was used over that, either wood flooring, or particle board, for tile or carpet,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

PRAISE GOD HALLELUJAH! I dont know what these people were thinking/doing when they built this house. We have 3/4" or better (cant remember the measurements but it was really thick) sub-floor apparently what they did next was cover the sub-floor with ply wood in the kitchen. I believe thats for adding tile which never was added.

Is there any reason other than tile that they would do that just in the kitchen?

Comment

depending on the finish floor that would be used, many times they would add an Underlayment, (in theory it would make the floor flater, and the joints of the sub floor would not show if the proper underlayment was used, if you have a good sub floor one most likely could remove the underlayment, and either start with new underlayment or depending on the flooring no under layment, (but all most all manufacture literature will recommends an under layment, (if one has a seam in the ply wood it will usually telegraph through a vinyl or sheet flooring, even hard wood flooring, if the seam of the flooring lines up with the seam of the sub floor, it may show through the upper floor, by becoming a gap in the flooring, if ceramic tile is layed usaly the grount line close to the seam will crumble with a under layment,

but I know a lot of pre 1920 houses that only have a Tongue and groove fir flooring and they are nearly as good as the day they went in, (just one layer thick, being about 3/4 of an inch,
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
            X