Reinforcing Entry Door for Security

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reinforcing Entry Door for Security

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
    castle drawbridges
    If you want to go there, how about the more modern blast door at Cheyenne Mountain. Not sure about those exposed hinge pins...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cheyenne Mountain Blast Door.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	308.2 KB
ID:	16842

If you're so concerned about front door security why not simply install a steel security door?

They come in various colors and designs.
      You can secure them with tamper proof screws.
      You also then can add a second dead bolt lock.

This may be easier and cheaper than replacing your present hollow front door.

I have rarely seen a hollow front door...or for that matter a hollow door to the attached
      garage..Building codes delineate the type doors and how they open for those specific entrance ways.

Business doors open out for fire safety and emergence egress of customers
      residential doors typically open inwards either left or right

Cactus Man

In a place like Houston, the bad guys are getting better and better with their burglary stuff. You need to study a lot of about preventing break-in like strengthening your deadbolt, install a four-screw, strike plate box, beefing up the locket strike plate etc. and lots of stuff. If you think the guys who provide door reinforcement in Houston, could suggest you the best solution, then mind the particular features of your home or apartments. It

Security storm door.
          Opens out. Tough to kick in.
          Ornamental iron with dead bolt screwed in with screws as long as possible.

My cop buddy on the swat team tells me storm doors give them the most trouble.

And then a good LOUD ALARM.

Originally posted by fixitright View Post
            Security storm door.
            Opens out. Tough to kick in.
            Ornamental iron with dead bolt screwed in with screws as long as possible.

My cop buddy on the swat team tells me storm doors give them the most trouble.
            Agreed. It also gives you a layer of protection when opening your door to greet a visitor.

Originally posted by AverageHomeowner View Post

Thanks for all the links and reference info.

My concern continues to be that more and stronger hardware on the frame/trim side is not going to help when the door is hollow wood, since the hinges are not anchored securely to the door like they are on the frame side where they are attached to the stud. But I suppose that adding hinges would make the door more resistant to kick-ins, as you suggested.
              the may be hollow but not around its perimeter. there is usually a 2x3 or 2x4 on the hinge or strike sides, and across the top and bottom. newer, less expensive doors may have lesser material but there is still some substance there to provide strength to the door itself. You're not going to get max security out of a low priced entry door, tha'ts why it was cheap to begin with. You can buy a pre-hung door of the same size, remove it from its frame and hang it in your existing frame. less work and time to fit it but if your existing frame it part of your problem then doesn't help much. but you said you main concern is your wimpy door so this might be an option to look into. need to check the location of the hinges and lockset to see how/if they line up with your old door locations oin the frame since you will be mixing parts. It can be done if you find the right door, taking some planning/measuring to pull it off. Look and see what make door you have now.. (Pease, Stanley, etc.) and look for the same make, you might make out better trying to match the hinges locations but they are usually about the same IIRC. Of course onsome doors such as a metal clad or fiberglass door moving the hinge locations is not recommended, you'll have to make adjustments in the door frames which is easier in any case. You can patch the mortises for the old hinges and if the frame is painted then you can pretty much hide the repair to all but a close exaimination, but there is nothing wrong with this type of repair.

I think TOH has shown door swap outs a couple times if you wantr some video on the subject.
              "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

Time, cost, or quality; pick any two but you can't have all three.

I don't know why people are still giving suggestions on solving this---It was posted in 2012, and probably resolved or "broken into" by now. :-)

No, my door wasn't broken into, thankfully I put longer screws into the strikeplates and the hinges.

Always interested to hear more ideas so additional suggestions are welcome. Keep in mind that these threads are viewed by thousands of others who are not forum members but find these posts using searches on the www because they have a similar problem to solve.

One thing to remember is that locks only keep the honest people out.

ive designed secure rooms before and the issue is if you break into them you will not get out! (unless i or the police release you)
                      shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

While living in a seasoned home provides comfort, it does have some downsides. Older doors can lack security, and many homeowners look for quality solutions to this problem. What you've already done for your door is great and should provide needed security, but I understand your need to secure the hinge side of the door. A great way, along with installing a deadbolt to a door, to reduce security risks for a home front door is to install a hinge shield. These can be purchased at most home improvement stores, such as Home Depot and Lowe's for an average price of around $25-$50. Although it isn't free, it will most likely be much cheaper than hiring a professional contractor to come in, give you an estimate, and complete the job.

Make sure your hinges aren
                          Last edited by andreagold; 03-21-2015, 05:08 PM.

I agree that hinges would do the trick for your door mate. Any update?

Well there can be two options, first that you can increase the hinges for more protection of the doors, but as you said your doors is hollow you can cover it by iron doors or steel doors and find it on and buy it from, they offer a comprehensive assortment of different types of doors at affordable prices. Hope this might help you out!

Usually doors for a residence opens inward. This does not lend itself to security against kick attacks.

There are all kinds of door bracing techniques that have a finished look to using 2x lumber and steel brackets across the door.

I just want to slow them down enough to allow me enough time to get comfortable with a .45.

I like a burglar bar type security gate at the entrance to my front porch with a video doorbell monitor. So you'll have two doors to deal with one being almost impossible to kick in.
                                Again just buying more time and making the house NOT look like an easy target.