Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Heater for Trailer?

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
    according to my heat loss calculator you have nearly 8,000 btu an hour loss assuming a 5F minimum temp, 50F temp indoors, no insulation. the $20 1500W heaters are not nearly enough. 1 kw = 3413 btu. So, 1.5 kw = 5119.5 btu.
    Thanks for the math! While there's no insulation in my trailer there is a 1/8" plywood skin on the front bulkhead and ceiling, 3/8" plywood cladding on the side walls and a plywood floor. Albeit not much, I'm sure this wood does offer some sort of R value.

5'F is definitely on the colder side of the seasonal lows we experience in my neck of the woods so I'm thinking that I may be able to get by with a 1000W forced air style heater. I'm a little concerned about the load that a 1500W heater will draw along with my battery chargers and lighting compared to a 1000W one, (I always turn off the heater when running the microwave or compressor).

Maybe one of those 500/1000/1500W oil filled rads with a little circulating fan beside it would do the trick. It would certainly give me options to choose from depending on the circumstances.
    "Good enough" isn't really "good"...

Comment

i already calculated those numbers with 1/2" of solid wood for floors, walls, and ceiling.
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

i already calculated those numbers with 1/2" of solid wood for floors, walls, and ceiling.
        Hmmm, wow...

Comment

If you only want to heat a small area, they make infrared spot heaters that run off of 120 volts. They even have some on a telescoping stand like a lamp with remotes.
          AllurePlumbing.com
          • leak detection
          • drain cleaning
          • utility locating
          • conductor fault locating
          • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Insulate.

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
              If you only want to heat a small area, they make infrared spot heaters that run off of 120 volts. They even have some on a telescoping stand like a lamp with remotes.
              Pretty close quarters for infrared. I'd be concerned about something catching fire with a heater like this. What's the approximate required clearance in front / around one of these models?

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
                Insulate.
                Yah...but you haven't seen how I've got my rig outfitted! Maybe sometime if I find myself between jobs long enough to get bored enough to get motivated enough! <big grin>

Comment

Originally posted by gadgetarian View Post
                  Pretty close quarters for infrared. I'd be concerned about something catching fire with a heater like this. What's the approximate required clearance in front / around one of these models?
                  I suppose it depends on how big you intend on going. I don't think you would have to worry with 120 volt model. Try calling your local electrical supply house this week. If I can get to my computer I will try to get the name of a good manufacturer. Try Googling it for particulars on the ones that your interested in.
                  AllurePlumbing.com
                  • leak detection
                  • drain cleaning
                  • utility locating
                  • conductor fault locating
                  • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I'm thinking about one of these > Residential Wall Heater (OVS Series) - residential electric heating

We've installed these for clients and they work great. I can install a surface mount model on the bulkhead up front out of harm's way and it should do a decent job.

Comment

We use up to 3 ceramic heaters as needed. The model we use is the Dayton 1VNW9.It has 3 heat settings as well as an adjustable thermostat. More importantly it has a knock over cut off switch mounted in the bottom as well as internal overheat protection.
                      PPE Protective Clothing

Comment

Originally posted by gadgetarian View Post
                        Thanks everyone for your feedback. I'm thinking about one of these > Residential Wall Heater (OVS Series) - residential electric heating

We've installed these for clients and they work great. I can install a surface mount model on the bulkhead up front out of harm's way and it should do a decent job.
                        At 120 volts you will need 3 of those units. One of the 240 volts/2000W model would be sufficient only if the outdoor temp is well above 5 degrees.
                        Last edited by Plumber Punky; 01-15-2013, 12:27 PM. Reason: typo
                        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

At 120 volts you will need 3 of those units. One of the 240 volts/2000W model would be sufficient only if the outdoor temp is well above 5 degrees.
                          Thanks for your feedback PP. Right now I'm using these little guys as a temporary measure.

Attachment Attachment

At the moment the outside temp is 0'C/32'F. The temp in my trailer is 10.7'C/51'F. The coldest it has been so far this winter is about -10'C/14'F. I didn't check the temp at that time but based on the current model I suppose it's safe to say that it was probably about 0'C/32'F.

Unfortunately the 240VAC unit won't meet my needs because I can only count on a 120VAC, 15A circuit (at best), at whatever site I'm working at. Guess I'm limited to 1,500W.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X