X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting Old Paster

I have a very old duplex that is plaster on brick, with layers (4-5?) of wallpaper and many layers of paint from years of use. I would venture the oldest paper is 75 +, and there are large areas of de-lamination starting on the exterior facing walls. I am going to strip the walls down to the original plaster, clean them, patch with plaster compound and re-paint. Are there any recommended types of paint that work best on plaster, or any sealers preferred? I was thinking about trying Dry-Lok as the base sealer, but figured there are some better choices I don't know about. Any info would be appreciated, Thanks.

Re: Painting Old Paster

After cleaning the old plaster walls, prime with a good oil based primer and then do your patching. The oil base primer will prevent the old plaster and whatever you are using to patch with from reacting with each other or festering. Then you can spot prime the repaired areas and apply your finish of choice. I speak from experience here on the plaster repairs. It may seem like a lot of work but you will only have to do it once.

Comment

Tempra paint works on plaster under most conditions. If the plaster is thoroughly dry, enamels can be used on it.
      PPE Protective Clothing

Comment

probably not an issue but one should check for Calcimine on the plaster, at one time it was a very cheap paint and some times used for a white paint, basically the pigment was chalk, and most paints will not penetrate it and fall off in a short time, if it is there it wil need to be removed,
        Cures for Calcimine Ceilings
        Cures for Calcimine Ceilings, by Peter and Noelle Lord - Old-House Journal
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I spoke with a guy at Sherwin Williams and he suggested Loxon primer, as stated above, then regular crack repair and patching can be completed. Anyone used this on plaster?

Comment

Latex primer can be used but alkyd primers are recommended for best results on plaster.

BandSaw Blades Online - Custom Welded Band Saw Blades

Comment

Loxon is latex based. If there is any water damage or stains they will likely come through a latex primer. My recommendation is use an oil based primer.

Comment

Originally posted by nkyrental View Post
                I have a very old duplex that is plaster on brick, with layers (4-5?) of wallpaper and many layers of paint from years of use. I would venture the oldest paper is 75 +, and there are large areas of de-lamination starting on the exterior facing walls. I am going to strip the walls down to the original plaster, clean them, patch with plaster compound and re-paint. Are there any recommended types of paint that work best on plaster, or any sealers preferred? I was thinking about trying Dry-Lok as the base sealer, but figured there are some better choices I don't know about. Any info would be appreciated, Thanks.
                I think you may be putting the cart before the horse. If there is that much delamination going on I think you will find once you strip down to bare plaster that there are cracks throughout. The delamination may be caused by moisture or by thermal movement, and both can cause cracking too. These issues may have been 'solved' in the old days by application of wallpaper. (in modern times, we call it paneling )

something to think about before spending money on paint...
                ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

You do need to seal the plaster otherwise the new paint won't stick as you point out. My first choice would be to wipe down and then paint with a coat of diluted emulsion. You might want to try this on a section of the wall before doing the whole lot to see if you get a good finish.
                  PPE Protective Clothing

Comment

There are a few cracks, but other than one below the window sill, they are all small. I believe the very old wallpaper just finally degraded to the point it allowed all the weight of the other stuff to pull it off. Wallpaper glues used 75 years ago were all organic based, so degradation is imminent. I will keep in mind the alkyd primer. We have a 10 x 12 wall stripped right now for experimentation, we will see what seems to work best before stripping any more. Thanks for all the replies.

Comment

Suggest You rent a wallpaper steamer. That, and a drywall broad knife, will be a blessing removing the paper. Only an East Coast Boy Knows this stuff. Good luck
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                      X