X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much would you estimate this?

First off, im shane, and im 18. I've been doing residential electrical work for 8 years, and I also have my own lawncare/landscaping buisness. Any ways, im looking at houses in my area, First off, almost all the work would be done by me. The house here-http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/101-Leslie-Ln-Spartanburg-SC-29301/2121581757_zpid/
    would basicly be gutted and completely redesigned, and have a second floor put on the main part of the home.

thanks.

Re: How much would you estimate this?

the very first order of business is to see if that municipality will allow you to pull the necessary permits as an unlicensed contractor. the second floor addition will require an engineering study to ensure the additional loading and support is sufficient.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

My first order of business is to be suspicious of any 18 year old who claims to have 8 years of residential electrical work. (putting a new plug on a lamp cord doesn't count)

Comment

your basically building a new building on top of the old, and when said and done only really keeping the original floor and walls,

building a second story is a lot more than building the first, because ever thing on the out side is ladder or scaffolding, and climbing,

in some ways by the time one does that your nearly better off building new from the ground up, if you totally gut the original house, reside it and rebuild the entire insides,

framing the house is usually the easy part in many ways,

you to be legal would need to do all the lead paint abatement and it looks like ever thing there is lead paint,

what is in the upper part, rooms or just attic? a nice restoration could be a good choice,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

and a word of advice in this day of lawyers and Litigation, and all, unless your licensed I think you may be better off leaving the electrical and plumbing to a licensed professional, If some thing goes wrong, you could be paying for it the rest of your life,
        Last edited by BHD; 01-12-2013, 08:54 PM.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
          My first order of business is to be suspicious of any 18 year old who claims to have 8 years of residential electrical work. (putting a new plug on a lamp cord doesn't count)
          Well, its true. I can wire an entire house by myself. My dad is a master electrician, and after working with him since i was ten, i learned a thing or two.
          Last edited by bmxerss; 01-12-2013, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
            your basically building a new building on top of the old, and when said and done only really keeping the original floor and walls,

building a second story is a lot more than building the first, because ever thing on the out side is ladder or scaffolding, and climbing,

in some ways by the time one does that your nearly better off building new from the ground up, if you totally gut the original house, reside it and rebuild the entire insides,

framing the house is usually the easy part in many ways,

you to be legal would need to do all the lead paint abatement and it looks like ever thing there is lead paint,

what is in the upper part, rooms or just attic? a nice restoration could be a good choice,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

and a word of advice in this day of lawyers and Litigation, and all, unless your licensed I think you may be better off leaving the electrical and plumbing to a licensed professional, If some thing goes wrong, you could be paying for it the rest of your life,
            My dad was a carpenter, and is currently a licensed electrician, so framing and electrical would be covered, as for plumbers, my dad knows alot of them.

Comment

About three times what you first think

Comment

so first off; based on your own statements; you wouldn't be doing most of the work yourself,
                you'd be subbing out to your dad and his friends. At least on paper, which could put all their
                licenses in jeopardy with miminal risk to you since you have no license, insurance, or established
                business of your own. In mnay states you have to be licensed to frame a building, and was doesn't
                count. He may still have the knowledge and be capable of doing the work, but as far as the [some anyway]
                are concerned he can not legally do so.

My dad was a carpenter, and is currently a licensed electrician, so framing
                and electrical would be covered, as for plumbers, my dad knows alot of them.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I am not jumping on you, as I might of considered a project like that when I was 18 as well, (not sure I would have felt ready at 18 but by the time I was 20 I was building on my own,

but if your dad is a carpenter, and electrician, and knows the area I would think he would be best to help you work up a bid or estimate on the idea you have,

I know your ready to grab the world by the horns and get going,
                  but take the wisdom that has been given and use the resources you have, you come from a family that is in construction,
                  I did not, so you have a real head start on what I had when I was your age,

but like I said do not jeopardize your self by taking short cuts, (if you buy the house I know what is legal may be different as a contractor, (I live in an area of the country where licenses and codes are not in forced in our county any way, (they are, by state rules, electrical and plumbing), but that does no mean one should not meet them, and like said litigation has changed much in the last 40 years, even selling a house that is not up to code or at lest to the codes of the day it was built, in some locations can bar the sale of it,
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                  X