Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recycled concrete vs. crushed run gravel?

Greetings.

We are working on a bargain basement-price to resurface a muddy training yard for dogs in a prison setting. Inmates train dogs to become good, loyal pets, and save them from euthanasia. I thought about milled asphalt for the smooth, even surface, but there are too many issues due to the chemical composition. It looks as though we are down to either recycled concrete or ABC crushed run gravel. For those not familiar, ABC in the Southeast has a composition similar to crushed concrete.

My question has to do with the crushed concrete, which is less expensive than crushed run. One plus I see is that it seems to set up even harder than crushed run. This would be a benefit, provided we can get it as smooth as possible before it sets. Does anyone see any drawbacks to recycled concrete vs. ABC? Also, whichever material we select, we would need to smooth it out as much as possible before it sets. We have heard that some people apply a thin layer of concrete powder less the rocks to the surface. I would appreciate any thoughts on this as well, plus the possibility of mixing sand and concrete powder together to be applied as a surface.

I thank you in advance for your help, and appreciate your input.

Re: Recycled concrete vs. crushed run gravel?

I dont know about the smoothing down part of the question but some crushed concretes may have small pieces of metal sticking out. This wouldnt be good for dog paws.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I have been using crushed concrete base rock for Years with great results. The recycling facility is next to My Const. Yard.
      The machine cost $500,000 . I have never,ever seen a piece of metal ,raking it out for Years ! I pay $10.00 ton clean
      and $8.00 ton mixed. I will never pay $33 a ton for crushed run again !
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Best way to smooth it out and compact it at the same time is a large vibrating drum roller. The crush run needs to be wet when installed, after compacting and drying it will be hard as concrete. Never have worked with crushed concrete before.

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
          Best way to smooth it out and compact it at the same time is a large vibrating drum roller. The crush run needs to be wet when installed, after compacting and drying it will be hard as concrete. Never have worked with crushed concrete before.
          I spread a small load on my driveway years ago, and didn't like it worth a crap, partly because it set so hard. I didn't roll it though, and your suggestion makes a lot of sense. I thank everyone for their input so far.

Comment

Working...
          X