X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint

My house is almost a year old, and finally got all the nail pops and cracks taken care of through the builder.

So the first room I just started painting is the nursery (I'm having twins), and I forgot how much I HATE painting. So it was either splurge on Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore and not have much leftover to buy things for the nursery, or it was buy a combination of Glidden, Behr, and Olympic, and have money left over to buy things I need for the nursery.

4 colors are involved here

Glidden (HD) - Flat white ceiling & white semi gloss for trim

Behr (HD) - Satin cream for upper wall & Satin for brown stripe around the room

Olympic (lowes) - Satin Mauve for bottom half of wall

What does everyone think on those 3 brands?

When I was picking this paint out the other day in HD, this guy asked he if he could help me and I said "sure".

I noticed everything we were looking at it was Glidden products. So finally I turned to him to ask...and as I asked I saw his shirt. He was a salesman for Glidden (very knowledgeable btw) and he explained all of their products and Behr.

So I told this guy, "let me think about it...thanks for your help". When he left I broke out my phone in the isle and was doing reviews right there on Glidden, and I was satisfied with what I read. So after 10 minutes of looking online, I went back up to him and asked him what I needed and he pointed me in the right direction.

I know one thing...I'll be hiring out for some of these rooms cause I don't have a scaffold for entryway and painting just flat out sucks!

This reminds me of a story...

When I got out of the Navy, dad wanted me back to work, and I wanted to take a 6 month break. He said "well you're not gonna just sit around, you need a job". So my buddy asked if I wanted to work as a painter like he was doing, and I said "sure, how hard can painting be?".

When i got home after my first day...I couldn't lift my arms above my head they were so sore. As fit as I was from the military...I was working muscles I never worked before. I lasted 3 months and quit cause the owner stopped paying us and was disappearing, and I got tired of chasing him down for my money. But painters definitely have my respect.

Anyways...what brands of paint do you all like?
    Last edited by Flux; 03-06-2013, 10:52 PM.

Re: Paint

Originally posted by Flux View Post
    (I'm having twins)
    Hey congratulations! and kudos on having Twins Do you already have children or will these be your first? I have 4 kids myself and my oldest is 17, youngest is 4. It's amazing how fast time passes.

For the paint, I don't have an answer. I've always used HomeDepot and Rona house brand. I've never had any issues.

Comment

These are my first, so I know I'm in for a rough time in the beginning.

Comment

In this case I dont think it matters too much about brand. Little kids dont care about brand, they care little about color until they get older. Parents care about cost. With little kids the most important criteria is "cleanability". A shinier finish is more durable and easier to clean.
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Congrats on the twins. Double the trouble, double the fun.

Stick with at least an eggshell finish on the walls as it washes easier than flat.

As we all know, the labor is the same, the paint is the difference in cost. Go with a good quality paint. Another $10.00 a gallon is cheap insurance.

You only want to do it once.

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

(I'm having twins)
            I forgot to add - how do you do all the work with what must be a huge gut gettin' in the way? Will your wife be able to handle all the jobs when you're in the hospital poppin' out those kids?

ba dah dah! the jokester has left the building...

congrats!

~~

Comment

I usually use Sherwin Williams, and can say I have not had any disappointments in it, also martin senour a business in town sells,

Sherwin-Williams is the parent company of other brands such as Duron, M.A.B. Paints, Minwax, Krylon, Mautz Paint Co., Purdy, Bestt Liebco, Thompson's WaterSeal, H&C, Pratt & Lambert, Martin Senour, Dutch Boy, Easy Living, Weatherbeater.
              Sherwin-Williams - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
              but I have been using some Ace brand paints on occasion, and in general been pleased for the cost of the paint, and I have heard of good reports on Behr, my guess is most all name brand are reasonable quality, or they would not be brand name,

The problem is about ever few years the formulas are changing so what you bought last year or last time you painted most likely will not be the same paint even if it is the same brand,
              the EPA is trying to get the VOC's out of paint so to get a true oil base paint is not easy any more, the thing is most companies have the water base products down good and if they cover well most likely they will last well.
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

We use Benjamin Moore exclusively, and I wouldn't ever go back to anything else. In my experience, Behr paint is like painting with water. Go to a local paint store, and open an account under your business. You'll suddenly be a lot closer to those cheap paints at home depot. We save a ton on paint by using our commercial account at Hershfields. We use the BM platinum ceramic satin, awesome paint.

Comment

If I HAD to pick one paint for the rest of my life it would be Benjamin Moore. Sherwin Williams is a good product but their management strategies always irritated me. If you plan on buying all the time they treat you well, but if you buy intermittently it's been my experience that it's hard to maintain good pricing.

Most paints are decent if you avoid the entry level crap. Lately I've used the Glidden contractor stores (convenience) and had great results. Sometimes local companies with house brands are good product and good to work with.

Comment

We have only used Valspar from Lowes and love it
                    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Flux, congrats!, we have twins also. They were our first and last. Dont cheat and find out what they are, its like opening a Christmas present in July. I couldnt tell you a thing about paint. Best of luck.
                      26+6=1

Comment

Originally posted by EJW1 View Post
                        Flux, congrats!, we have twins also. They were our first and last. Dont cheat and find out what they are, its like opening a Christmas present in July. I couldnt tell you a thing about paint. Best of luck.
                        Sorry, we already cheated and found out. But it was for good reasons, as we use to have the same philosophy as you.

Comment

Congrats ,You're in for a wonderful ride ! BEN MOORE NEXT TIME
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Sorry, we already cheated and found out. But it was for good reasons...
                            he needed to know paint color
                            ~~

Comment

Congratulations to you and your wife Flux. I'm very happy to hear that everything is going well.

We've been using Behr for years for the walls (Eggshell Enamel). But I hate their "Kitchen and Bath" paint. For ceilings, I'm definitely a Glidden fan.

We have never had a problem with Behr eggshell enamel, it goes on well and for most normal things is easy to wipe clean. I don't care for the ceiling paint though as it seems to take two or three coats and that's a job I only care to do once... literally a pain in my neck! The Glidden does a much better job.

Again, best wishes for your family this is going to be a great time in your lives,

CWS

Comment

Working...
                              X