X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheetrock tape-

As mundane as this may seem-for the past several years I think about this while taping; once sanded 7 painted it's out of mind until the next time:

I seem to recall in the mid 80's, when I first began taping, paper drywall tape had very small perforations.

Am I mistaken?

Re: Sheetrock tape-

You are right.

Comment

yes I remember seeing it never used it, only a few times, the thing I did not like was he mud would squeeze through and there would be little bumps to sand off,

I have never done any wet wall (plaster with a dry wall type backing), but was it for the joints on a wet wall application?

I know most of the mud used to day is more sticky than some of the first joint compound I used, some of the first compounds were very dry acting.
      Attached Files
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I remember it but never used it. I did use the sticky gauze tape, but I prefer the plain common paper.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post

I know most of the mud used to day is more sticky than some of the first joint compound I used, some of the first compounds were very dry acting.

Let's talk about this too.

Always used Sheetrock brand all-purpose mud if I wasn't mixing hot mud. I have also noticed recently, even though I am bench-pressing as much and more than ever, 5 gallon pails are much heavier than they were!

Also, whereas I would sometimes use a damp sponge in lieu of sanding( popcorn or knock down), lately this stuff is a bear to sand!

So, whereas the tape is a factor, perhaps it is the mud which has changed the most?

Comment

Working...
          X