X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting fence posts

Hi am installing a new 400' fence this spring. The 10' pt posts will be set 2 1/2 to 3' down. My question is do I set them with gravel or concrete. The soil is mostly clay.
    Charles

Re: Setting fence posts

when I build my fences, mostly barbed wire fences, I set the post about 2 1/2' to 3' down and when I back fill, I will add about 6 to 8 " of dirt around the post, and use a tamper bar, the one I like best is a welded up unit that consists of a 1" shaft about 18" long welded to a 3/4 piece of black pipe about 4 foot long with a 1 1/2 thick section of 2 shaft welded on the end of that, it has the weight and the heft that is needed with out being overly heavy if it is really loose I start with the 2" end to compress the soil back fill a little and then turn it over and tamp it tight with the 1" end, until your hardly denting the soil, then another 6 to 8" of loose fill, and repeat until the hole is full,

at time I have just used a 3/4 section of black pipe for a tamper, it will fill with dirt and plug it self.

I have about 8 Miles of fence to maintain, and that is how our posts are set. I have never had one work it self side ways out of the ground, I have had some break off for various reasons, but on the average I replace about 50 posts a year in the the fences,

never have set one with concrete, or gravel, (unless the soil is gravely which I have very little of)

if your going to hand dig the holes get a good digger (Ridgid had a good one, our local HD stopped selling Ridgid shovels and the like so I do not know if there still made or not but it was a quality unit) even just to clean the holes out a quality unit is so much better than the junk ones, on my Ridgid digger I took a marker and measured out the depth and marked the handles, so know I know how deep the hole is when working on it and not having to stop and measure with some else,

last year we built a fence one section was about 3500' and the other leg of it was 2700 feet long,

I hope your project goes well,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Here in CT you would not have any luck with a post hole digger. Each post hole I dug for a fence I put up twenty years ago took me two hours or longer. Heavy digging bar to pry out big rocks and shear tree roots, holes ended up a lot bigger than necessary to set posts. I did use concrete on them. Only ground more annoying than this was when I set utility poles is very sandy soil, the kind that collapses as you dig! Digging in "fill" is also tricky as it too collapses as you dig. Frank

Comment

i use my gas 2 cycle post hole auger. originally i bought it to help loosen the soil when i install sewer cleanouts. but the 8'' auger works perfect for post too.

our soil is clay and i use 2'' sch 40 gal pipe for my post. they should last a lifetime. especially since i used 10 mil tape around the base to keep the water and concrete off of the galvanized metal. i pop in 6'' of concrete in the base hole and drop the post into the 2' deep hole.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I like taking the easy way out when fencing I use a post hole auger to dig the holes then mix the dirt pulled out of the hole with cement and water as I don`t like the hard work of tampering the soil back in to secure the posts in place it can be a pain in the *** and a back breaker if there are a lot of posts

Tony

Comment

A post hole digger for sure, I use a dingo with auger attachment cuz I'm old, but a friend who worked at a fence company for years showed me that you just put dry concrete powder in the hole then wet the top of it, next day it is concrete no mixing! makes the job way faster, might not work all around the country but here in the pacific northwest it works great.
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Thanks everyone. Geez BHD that's a lot of posts. I think that I will just back fill and tamp with dirt. And since they are pressure treated they should last longer than I will be alive.
              Charles

Comment

Most of the post we set now are green pressure treated, my guess is the posts we have last about 30 to 40 years, most of the ones were replacing now are the cedar posts yet, and hardly ever replace a green one yet unless it is just broke off, have replaced a lot of surface creosoted posts, but if you set in concreted replacing them would be much harder,

Good luck on your project.
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                X