Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Can i use Quickrete Fast-Setting concrete to pour concrete columns? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can i use Quickrete Fast-Setting concrete to pour concrete columns?

Hi there - quick question. I bought the fast setting red bags of Quickrete thinking i was going to bury treated 6x6's for the kids fort I am building. Upon further research I think I should put the posts on top of concrete columns instead. I looked at the quickrete guide http://www.quikrete.com/PDFs/ConcreteSelectorGuide.pdf and notice that its not recommended for concrete columns. Am I ok to use this concrete for pouring columns? or should I not? Further, is it recommdend that I use Sonotubes? or can I put the concrete right in the holes? I live in MN if that matters.

thx

Re: Can i use Quickrete Fast-Setting concrete to pour concrete columns?

Treated 6x6's should be the way to go, they last a real long time and are very strong for your application. Years ago I built a big swing set for the kids and a couple small decks for my pool. I set the uprights in concrete, right in the dirt. If I was to do this today, I would absolutely use sonotubes. Do it right and you won't have any regrets. Frank

Comment

Take the red bags back & get one of the 2 recommended for columns.

I would use sonotubes, because the column will be smoother on the outside there by least likely to get any upward movement due freezing & you won't get any dirt in your mix when pouring.
      Also you want to have the top of the column 3" above grade to help prevent the 6 x 6's from rotting.

You also want to put in the column (4) vertical pcs of # 4 rebar & # 3 rebar ties every foot. You can bend the ties in a square just allow from 2" of concrete cover on the sides.

In MD your columns would need to be 12"dia to 24" dia. depending on what county you are in & you would need a permit.

Comment

Gotcha. I'm wondering if I'm starting to over-engineer it. It's going to be a 2 story kids fort. If I get 10 or 12 years out of it, it will have served its purpose. Would I maybe get more lateral stability out of it if I just bury the posts with class 5 on the bottom then concrete all around? I certainly don't want to build something that isn't up to par, but at the same time I wonder how much more work I a doing for myself at this point. If I was building a deck I would be more picky, but this is a "temporary structure." It's going to be 12x10 or so, elevated off the ground prob 5 or 6 feet using 6 6x6 treated posts. Is it just plain stupid to even think of burying the posts?

Comment

The only time I would put any kind of wood in direct contact with concrete is for a fence post.
          You are building a free standing deck and a wooden deck is a temporary structure. (useful life span for typical deck is 10-15 yrs.)
          Remember it will be your kids playing it better to over-engineer than under-engineer.
          I know you are in MN & you probably have to dig about 4ft. , but either way you have to dig the hole & that is the hard part.
          Also in MD whether you pour the whole column with concrete or not the post has to sit on a slab 12" dia to 24" dia. x 8" thick depending on what county you are in.

Comment

Originally posted by MR.FUDD View Post
            The only time I would put any kind of wood in direct contact with concrete is for a fence post.
            You are building a free standing deck and a wooden deck is a temporary structure. (useful life span for typical deck is 10-15 yrs.)
            Remember it will be your kids playing it better to over-engineer than under-engineer.
            I know you are in MN & you probably have to dig about 4ft. , but either way you have to dig the hole & that is the hard part.
            Also in MD whether you pour the whole column with concrete or not the post has to sit on a slab 12" dia to 24" dia. x 8" thick depending on what county you are in.
            If it is going to be a FORT give the kids a copy of Custers's last stand to read. By the time it is ready to fall the Indians will come riding in............only joking.
            Where the kids are involved, over engineer everytime.

Comment

Get the correct cement and sonotubes. I wouldn't worry about rebar, they don't require it in deck footings here. Punch the footing holes 4 ft deep, bell out the bottom, drop in the tubes and pour away. I would go w/ 16" tubes, 12" just seems a bit under sized for a 2 story fort. But then again I over kill footings, mainly because we own half of my cousins auger on his skid steer. 24" holes are cheap and easy to watch him do it... lol. Drill in anchors when the footings cure out and use deck post bottom mounting plates. It will help keep the structure in place in case you encounter strong winds that happen here on occasion. They also keep the bottom of the post off the pad to keep it from rotting.

Where in MN? Be careful, there's a couple cities that get their undies in a bunch over forts. Heard of a few being forced to remove them.

Comment

I guess an old card board refrigerator box, like my dad brought home when I was a kid just won't do. Spent many a night protecting the home front in those old boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by ArizonaPlumber View Post
                  I guess an old card board refrigerator box, like my dad brought home when I was a kid just won't do. Spent many a night protecting the home front in those old boxes.
                  Smaller boxes were either a race car or rocket ship depending on the mood. I can still remember rocking back and forth in them boxes and having so much fun.
                  Last edited by Frankiarmz; 05-23-2013, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Old school 12 pack cases made for awesome helmets... lol

Comment

Working...
                    X