X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max beam span kids fort

Hi. Thanks for everyone's advice on my post situation. My question is now this - I was going to use 12' long double 2x10" beams to span 11' between posts. After some pontification I've come to the conclusion that won't be enough. Will double 2x12s work? Triple 2x12s?

Re: Max beam span kids fort

I'd have to see your plans, could you post a drawing?

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
      Ended up using 3 2x12s on each side to cover the 11" span. Should be sufficient

Comment

Good luck on your fort
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Post up pics of the progress!

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
            All depends on the wood used, the calculated live (max number of kids) and
            dead (weight of fort components that bear on the beams) loads, and maybe more
            important, how you connect the beam to the posts (nailed, bolted, joist hangers, etc.).
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I think he is building it to withstand a 105 Howitzer!

Comment

Lets see , what size tires for My vehicle ? Vespa Scooter or Lincoln Town Car ? Doubled up , back to back 2"x12 " channel iron should be safe . Skip weld with 3/16 " 7018 every 6 "
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  Lets see , what size tires for My vehicle ? Vespa Scooter or Lincoln Town Car ? Doubled up , back to back 2"x12 " channel iron should be safe . Skip weld with 3/16 " 7018 every 6 "
                  A W12X22 beam should span 12 feet of children playing just fine....LOL

Comment

a typical re-enforcing trick we use is to sandwich a plate of 1/8 steel between the 2 x 12 (the 2x12 keep the 1/8 plate from bending) and this arrangement supports a lot of weight
                    shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gnuuser View Post
                      a typical re-enforcing trick we use is to sandwich a plate of 1/8 steel between the 2 x 12 (the 2x12 keep the 1/8 plate from bending) and this arrangement supports a lot of weight
                      Called a flitch plate.

Comment

Working...
                      X