X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A better mousetrap (Stud Finder) - Franklin Prosensor 710

Has anyone on this forum used this product with good/bad results? I'm thinking of putting it on my Christmas Wish List.

Video Review:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb496WN6FIw

Re: A better mousetrap (Stud Finder) - Franklin Prosensor 710

stud sensors that locate by measuring the difference in density have been around for 30+ years.

Zircon offered the first one I know of. I bought one in the early 80s and it still works fine.

a plus for the model you ask about here is the wide array of LEDs to show the location and
    width of the stud without having to move the detector along the wall as most (all that I have
    seen anyway) do.

Some models will alarm on finding energized AC wire or cables in the wall, and some can
    locate metal pipe or conduit. If those features are important to you then you might want to
    consider a model other than the Franklin 710 as I did not see any mention of this capability
    in the video.

Other than that thought the price seems a little on the high side at $50 I'd give it a go if I
    didn't alreay have one.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Check out the zircon multiscanner scanner 520.

I also looked at the Franklin but Zircon has a better track record and
      much better high end products.

This model will warn you when around poer lines, plumbing, and also can
      find metal studs etc.

I am very pleased with this model.

Cactus Man

Comment

Agree that the Zircon 520 is a good choice, but I just received the Franklin as a gift. I already have a Zircon model that has a WireWarning feature for power. But my gripe with conventional stud finders is the trial and error process of calibrating it against the wall so you can slide it to get an accurate reading. And you have to slide horizontally and then vertically to detect both studs and cross braces.

This Franklin unit is cool! You just place its wide 7" body anywhere against the wall and the row of 13 lights displays the stud location. I'll still keep my Zircon for backup or to confirm any questionable readings.

Funny somewhat off-topic story ... I bought an inexpensive Stud Finder many years ago and gave it as gag gift to a lady friend who just got divorced.

Comment

I use a magnet with a 16" chain on it. Find a screw, let the chain hang, now I have the center of the stud. Go 16" on both sides with the chain, there's my next stud.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            I use a magnet with a 16" chain on it. Find a screw, let the chain hang, now I have the center of the stud. Go 16" on both sides with the chain, there's my next stud.
            Saves on batteries!

Comment

I use the magnet on an extended antenna. Keep a strip of tape on the head of the magnet so it doesn't mar the wall. With the antenna extended and held loose in my hand, I drag it along and hit the nail or screw. Even on real plaster with a good magnet, it still hits and finds them.

Drywall, I can listen with my fingertips for the mud spot. Especially with flat paint and no wall texture.

Anyone have that expensive milwaukee or bosch unit?

Rick. .
              Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 12-29-2013, 10:46 PM.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Anyone have that expensive milwaukee or bosch unit?
                No, but we do use an even more expensive Hilti unit, it's meant for finding rebar in concrete though so not really in the same category.

Seriously, the Hilti unit is over $10k, and works VERY well.

It gives you a 2D view of inside the concrete in real time as you swipe the unit across the wall, floor, or ceiling.

And can present a 3D view immediately after you have finished scanning. And the information can be saved to disk to document findings too.

Last edited by Bob D.; 12-30-2013, 06:41 AM.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                  No, but we do use an even more expensive Hilti unit, it's meant for finding rebar in concrete though so not really in the same category...
                  Does it plainly indicate the difference between rebar and post tension cables, or is there some art of figuring out which is which?

Comment

Originally posted by AverageHomeowner View Post
                    Does it plainly indicate the difference between rebar and post tension (PT) cables, or is there some art of figuring out which is which?
                    Just for the benefit of anyone following this thread, I found the answer to my question. The attached case study describes the skill involved to interpret the images and identify PT cables. This is an interesting topic to me because one of my driveway slabs was skipped over for replacement because of PT cables.

Post-tension cables characteristics

Comment

Working...
                    X