Framing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Framing

Yes, but Tool, you don't walk around all day with a chocolate milkshake in your hand!

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
      WHO Young Fella ! I'm 71 and work 6 days a week!

yes, but remember we do this daily and know our limits.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

If your going to use the garage as a shop, I would forgo the sheet rock on the interior of your walls. Use OSB or 1/2 cdx plywood and paint it. OSB will be cheaper. But it will allow you to affix anything you want to the walls anywhere you please. It's more durable and you won't have holes to patch.

On the 2x6 walls, your building inspection might require it if you are going to put a second floor living space above the garage. I guess I would do it anyway, it gives you a solid wall to install racking or shelving that you can stack materials on without worrying about the wall bowing.

You might want to do some digging on the living space above a detached garage, a lot of cities frown upon it and might not give you their blessing.

Lastly, don't roof it yourself. For how little it costs to have someone else shingle it, it's just not worth it.

PS, another recommendation, go 10' inside if you can. Flipping 8' sheets of plywood or moving tall projects around without the higher ceiling is no fun at all.
        Last edited by Alphacowboy; 02-13-2014, 09:18 AM.

Comment

For lifting walls, drive some stakes to keep the bottom plate from sliding off the slab, and then use a pry bar to lift it up a few inches, Put a block under it , and work your way down the wall, then come back and work it up a few more blocks then if you have a few concrete blocks your up 16 inches, one can use a handy many or bumper jack to lift and put saw horsed under it, then continue one can use sections of 2x4 and nail on for legs under on the stud, once lifted up they will support it and then use one a little longer and keep working it up have some way so the wall does not go over and some way to brace it so it does not come back, HIs idea would help the above lift,
          Wall jacks - Fine Homebuilding Tip

I made a set of wall jacks similar to the one in the link in the posts above, using some tubing and a couple of come along, inspired by this company Proctor Products : Wall Products : Wall Jacks - Features Does good on a wood sub floor but on concrete one needs to make a support system to keep them from slipping (one feature I like was the going over feature, was lifting a wall about 30 foot long one time and got with in a foot of the top, and the wind came up and caught the wall if it was not for the safety catch I would have lost the wall over the edge, http://www.bishopladder.com/pic-proctor.html

here is a home made, low cost and more of possible reuse of the components, Home made wall jacks « yardbarnsandmore.com Blog and there is another type that walks up a double 2x4 Qualcraft 2601 Wall Jack - Amazon.com

Raising walls with jacks - Fine Homebuilding Tip
          Last edited by BHD; 02-13-2014, 09:30 AM.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

2 x 6 would be best. As more space would be required to analyze the frame. Hiring a carpenter would help you but if the design is still under constructed, you can ask your structural engineer to leave space equal to 2x7.

Comment

Most local building departments will require 2x6 construction.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X