Central Vac Replacement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Central Vac Replacement

Our house has a NuTone, late 80s era model CV-353 central vac system.

It has worked OK all the years we have been here but the motor (brushes
    and bearings I suspect) is about shot.

There are a couple ways to go with a replacement.

One is buy a new replacement motor to fit the old vac.

The other would be to buy a whole new power unit.

Closest NuTone unit would be a VX-475 but I would probably
    go with a VX-550 for the larger capacity and longer warranty.

Another choice would be to go with a new power unit from a different
    manufacturer. I found M.D. Manufacturing in Bakersfield, CA who design and
    assemble their products in the USA.

I'm looking at their model M85.

Adapting the piping and any electrical mods are no problem.

I'm wondering if anyone on here has installed or owns a central vac unit made by'
    M.D. Manufacturing and what yoou think of it.

Same goes for the current model NuTone units. I've found some reviews by
    purchasers on Amazon that do not instill confidence that their new units will
    last 27 years like their old CV-353 that I have now. That thing is built like a tank,
    all steel, minimal plastic.

So maybe I answered my own question and should buy a new motor for the old
    vacuum unit. It's about half the price of a new power unit but the new units
    have higher (claimed) power than the current unit did when new.

So, interested in your thoughts or expierence with any of these options.
    Last edited by Bob D.; 04-06-2014, 10:03 AM.
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

1/20/2017 - The End of an Error

Re: Central Vac Replacement

or take the old motor to a place that rebuilds them. Bearings and brushes should be pretty easy.

Comment

one can just use a shop canister shop vac if wanted.

and a low voltage switching relay, (mine had a built in transformer), it was/is similar to this, GRAINGER APPROVED VENDOR Transformer Relay,SPNO/SPNC - HVAC Relays - 6AZH4|6AZH4 - Grainger Industrial Supply

I put mind in back in the early 80's as well, but started out with a shop vac, it was one I all ready owned, and over the years have gone through a motor/fan, and a replacement vac,

my wife also uses a very powerful home vac, https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/4-gallo...le-wet-dry-vac
      she just uses her older house hold tools on it, with an adapter, at home depot we spent $80 on it, my DD uses one as well,

when we got rid of the carpets and replaced with hard wood floors she prefers the portable most of the time now, not sure why,
      Last edited by BHD; 04-06-2014, 02:13 PM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

on the replacement motor a little better price Lamb Ametek 116119-00 3-stage 7.2" vacuum motor, 120 volt [MO120] - $168.99 : Central Vacuum Factory $168
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Shop vac is the way to go if you don't mind the noise where the power unit is located. Heck you can pick up solids and liquids then.

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            Shop vac is the way to go if you don't mind the noise where the power unit is located. Heck you can pick up solids and liquids then.

Rick.
            Yes, noise would be an issue. I've thought about using a shop-vac but I wonder how it would hold up to
            the long run times of vacuuming for a half hour or more without a break. The motors on shop-vacs are
            not of the same quality as those on a central vac I would think. I think a shop-vac could work as a short
            term fill-in for a central vac power unit that has died but I don't think its a good choice for a long term
            replacement, at least for me and what I want.

Since I didn't run the pipe and its not all visible I would be concerned about low points where liquids
            might collect and then attract other debris and become a mess that would require a K-60 to dislodge.
            "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

1/20/2017 - The End of an Error

Comment

Check out Beam. Very nice units. Last I heard they were the top brand.
              Roots beware of the C snake with shark teeth.

Comment

Working...
              X