Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running a 2'' PVC pipe for Security Surveillance system

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Running a 2'' PVC pipe for Security Surveillance system

    Hi,

    I'm in the process of building a new home and was considering installing a security surveillance system in the future. I think the security system comes 100 ft. BNC cables that has both power and cable in one. So I read in a lot of places that running a 2'' conduit is the best for future wiring but i don't know how to or where to run it from. Right now, the framing is almost done and they haven't started with pre-wiring for things yet. So I think the timing is the best right now since the drywall is not up yet. ANy tips would be appreciated. Thanks.


  • #2
    anywhere where it's not in the way and you have a straight pipe from cellar to attic. a centralized location is probably best.
    ~~

    ... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

    Comment


    • shawnmc111
      shawnmc111 commented
      Editing a comment
      Would I have to cover the both ends with something in order not to make fire hazard?

  • #3
    Why not ask this question to a security pro ?
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

    Comment


    • #4
      2" for coax cable w/power is big and will put large holes in your framing. Not sure you need 2". Not certain you need conduit at all- might better to run the cable now just not hook it up. You will need to determine your layout; where you are going to place cameras and dvdr. The dvdr will need to have power and preferably internet available. Might want to ask your low voltage contractor about doing the work along with cable phone and internet.

      Then again with cameras, you could go with wireless.

      Comment


      • #5
        2" is huge. Even with the bnc connectors on, I would think 1" would be sufficent. They even sell a plastic flex that would work too.

        Rick.
        phoebe it is

        Comment


        • #6
          They'll be enough room left over for a vacuum system !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

          Comment


          • #7
            ISnt there something about power and coms being in the same tube...........??????????

            Comment


            • Mark7
              Mark7 commented
              Editing a comment
              These are low voltage cables where the power is being used to move the camera. The same cable is carrying both.

            • Cleanmen2
              Cleanmen2 commented
              Editing a comment
              Mark, that's why I am a Plumber. It is hard to remember sometimes that you guys run 110v whereas we run 240v. Not saying our cameras run 240 but it was just the rule of thumb that you keep power separate to coms. Here learning more and more everyday. Thanks for your input Mark7

          • #8
            You Betcha
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

            Comment


            • #9
              Originally posted by Mark7 View Post
              2" for coax cable w/power is big and will put large holes in your framing. Not sure you need 2". Not certain you need conduit at all- might better to run the cable now just not hook it up. You will need to determine your layout; where you are going to place cameras and dvdr. The dvdr will need to have power and preferably internet available. Might want to ask your low voltage contractor about doing the work along with cable phone and internet.

              Then again with cameras, you could go with wireless.
              Is running the cables through attic without any cover ok? I have no knowledge about how to make it fire block or something? Would it pass inspection?

              Comment


              • Mark7
                Mark7 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes. You can run the coax through your attic without it being in conduit with caveats such as it should not be run near or touch light fixtures, flues and should avoid electric cables as interference may result. Any holes you run cables through the top plate should get a shot of foam, such as great stuff fire block.

            • #10
              Why not tell the electrician /EC exactly what you want to install (x amount of x type cameras) and let the professional make the decision. Asking the advice on a forum for people to guess on something site unseen is dumb. There are many variables that come into play to just guess. Why install conduit at all when it is probably not necessary? The EC will know thing like routing cables to avoid noise, fire stopping, securing properly,entering environmental spaces, etc. Honestly, you are paying them already, and they could probably do your install for less money than you will spend on your first trip to the store.

              Comment


              • #11
                A lot of people now install a empty pipe chase to "future proof" their residence to allow new types of cable to be installed in the future. A few of my friends have use them for satellite cable and new drops of cat 5 and 6 internet cable. Going up to the attic and back down a wall from the top was easier than going through a finished basement ceiling

                Comment


                • #12
                  A lot of people are also clueless to IBC /BOCA, IRC, NEC or other applicable codes.

                  Comment


                  • #13
                    Originally posted by johncameron View Post
                    Why not tell the electrician /EC exactly what you want to install (x amount of x type cameras) and let the professional make the decision. Asking the advice on a forum for people to guess on something site unseen is dumb. There are many variables that come into play to just guess. Why install conduit at all when it is probably not necessary? The EC will know thing like routing cables to avoid noise, fire stopping, securing properly,entering environmental spaces, etc. Honestly, you are paying them already, and they could probably do your install for less money than you will spend on your first trip to the store.
                    All good helpful points john but do you have to call the guy dumb for asking a question?

                    How's that go?

                    There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers.

                    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

                    Comment


                    • #14
                      Thanks Bob, beat me to the comment. Questions are all ok but with respect to all sometimes some of us see the situation as in need of an ENGINEER, or if they aren't available a PRO..............!!!!

                      Comment


                      • #15
                        Originally posted by Bob D. View Post

                        All good helpful points john but do you have to call the guy dumb for asking a question?

                        How's that go?

                        There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers.
                        I didn't call him dumb, but yes it's a dumb way to go about building a new home. If the inspector finds a violation, it could cost you a lot more to fix it than it would for the professionals to just do it right. Not to mention making suggestion that would suit your needs.

                        No disrespect intended but I disagree with the old cliche (If you are an adult); There are both stupid question and stupid answers.
                        Last edited by johncameron; 08-24-2014, 09:53 PM. Reason: Grave accent on "e" wont paste properly

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X