This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fastening Fence Pickets - Screws or Nails

What's your preference? Screws or nails for a PT wooden fence? Options below.

1) 1 5/8" deck screws
    2) 1 5/8 hot dipped galvanized screws with a coil nailer

Any experience that would steer a strong opinion either way?

Thanks, Josh
    Last edited by Josh; 06-30-2014, 09:34 AM.

Yes Josh about 50 Years worth. Galvy screws .Coil gun or Impact driver. Have Fun Hope Son will Help !
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Josh, ive used both. Gun nails will be much faster and properly adjusted will set pretty flush or slightly countersunk. Screws come in different colors, diferent heads and different drives. In the end they do look better and with a small jig, you can easily space them level and evenly. It will look much better in the end especially if left with a natural, unfinished look. Of course the screws are much more expensive and the time is much greater.

depending on the life expectancy, of the fence and weather toll, is it worth it? I would also go slighty longer with both. 1" grip mifgt be fine for interior and drywall. But exterior with wind, snow, rain and rotting, you need more long term deeper bite. 2" long is my choice.

might be time for a roundup. Early july flies for me. Joey and phoebe will be in houston and leaves me some free time.

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I have partial boxes of 1 5/8 and 2" deck screws. Gonna try both out tonight and see what kinda time I can make using screws. Will also see if the extra 3/8" makes any difference or if the 2" breaks through the rails on the back.

Comment

i my self would NOT use nails to build a wood fence any more, I know my fences are not like yours but when I discovered screws one could drive, I never went back,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

SCREWS.
            Collated screwdriver-Ridgid 6791 get Seneco screws and lots of bits and more bits.

Comment

Comment

• IamVince
                IamVince commented
                Editing a comment
                I used all stainless screws

I agreed what is said above!!!
              I also my self would not use nails to build a wood fence any more. Looking for more ideas in this regard. One of my friend currently living in Brisbane (knows as the name of brisbane fencing), expert in this field. Sure this will helpful for me in this regard.

Last edited by davidJesse; 06-30-2014, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Used screws... took about 4200. Far more labor but will make future rework a breeze. Josh

Comment

Working...
                X