Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• locksmith corner topic

How about a locksmith corner sub-forum?
    Ive answered a few locksmith questions here under the construction forum and i think it might be a good idea to have a sub-forum for dealing with lock problems and installation tricks that can make the job easier.
    shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Great idea!

Comment

sounds like a great idea. until ridgid steps in We could use open discussion as a question N answer forum on Locks
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Open discussion would be the great idea in the sub forum because this can make you more informative about lockout situations or how to get the right locksmith in emergency.On such discussions you can ask any questions about locksmiths and others will answer you according to their experience, in result this makes you more knowldgeable.
        We are Locksmith professional in Lombard Company having a round-the-clock company of locksmith professional services all around the 436 S. Main St. Lombard, IL

Comment

nice idea.

Comment

Yes, we should discuss in an open forum various methods, tips, and tricks
            used by locksmiths so it is easily found by anyone for use or abuse.

Be sure to provide links to all the YT videos showing how to pick locks,
            make slam keys, jimmy car doors, etc.

Sorry, but not a topic that I believe should be discussed in an open forum
            that anyone can read and even if it was limited to registered users do you
            really know who they are and what they're about?
            "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

Comment

• BadgerDave
              BadgerDave commented
              Editing a comment
              Self imposed censorship is a smart thing to do.

Do you know what they say.

"Boyfriend looses key to girlfriends apartment, gets no nookie (new key)

So for the sake of all single guys, talk locks.

I have my own key machine, I'm covered

Yes sitting for jury duty, I'm bored.

Rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

havent been on the forum in a while recovering for illness issues.
              anyhow I will not discuss lock picking, and ways to loid locking mechanisms but installation tips and tricks that make for dependable operation.
              nor vehicle and safe lockouts. (with out valid proof of locksmith certification)
              shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

Comment

when installing a key in knob lockset such as kwikset or titan (or any lockset for that matter) the pins should be in the 12 oclock position (if looking at the key the teeth would be facing up)
                the reason being is that if the pin springs break or are too weak you will still be able to lock and unlock with the key
                if it is installed upside down the pins wont be at the shear point and the key will not work.
                kwikset and titan cylinders can be removed from the knob with a special tool or 2 thin straight blade screwdrivers ( forcing retaining clips inward and releasing the cylinder)
                but its better to use the correct tool.
                once the cylinder is out of the knob it can be rotated to the correct position and re inserted.
                other locks require different procedures and usually a locksmith can change them in a few minutes.

Comment

lubricating lock cylinders!
                  many people will use oil or wd40 to lubricate a lock cylinder but im here to tell them DO NOT USE OIL OR WD40!!!
                  these things leave a residue that doesn't dry for a long time and will build up dust contaminants that hard to remove!
                  you can get dry graphite powder , graphite and alcohol penetrating fluids, and silicone based sprays that are better suited for locks.

Comment

Go ahead gnuuser and will look new tricks.

Comment

stripped screw holes in hinge settings? use a golf tee and a good quality wood glue.
                      drive the tee into the old holes and cut flush with the inset of the hinge.
                      drill a small pilot hole in the centre and drive the screw in as usual
                      this works especially well in vintage hardwood frames.

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
                        PLUMBER RICK commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I've never heard of the golf tee trick. i've always used round toothpicks or a heavier shish kabob skewers.

Rick..

one way to protect yourself in the event of a lockout is to have a spare key
                      for vehicles i do not recommend the magnetic boxes because the magnet can weaken and the box can drop off,
                      instead run a length of plastic coated steel leader through the eye of the spare key and dip the key in liquid electrical tape.(coating of rubber) (in the event you need the key the rubber can be peeled off)
                      and tie the leader someplace only you know (there are many places you can hide the key and anyone trying to search all the places will draw too much attention)

but its best to carry the spare key on you at all times (separate from the regular keys)

lockouts can be expensive and embarrassing as well, although many garages, fire services and police often will do lockouts in some places they can get into a lot of trouble for doing so!
                      insurance industries frown upon unauthorized lock-smithing and are all too willing to take punitive actions for damages incurred,
                      side door airbags can make it dangerous to open a door without proper training and the proper tool.

Comment

Working...
                      X