Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roofing shingles all overlap but what type do I choose?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roofing shingles all overlap but what type do I choose?

I am getting ready to put a new roof on my home. There are so many types of shingles. They all seem to overlap in sections. How do I decide what type of shingle to use? I did some research that I want to share with you. Below are several types of shingles but I'm sure there are many types not listed. If you know of others, please add them to the comments below. In the end, I know I will call Barton Roof for more information and ideas specific to my home. But at least I will be a little more educated when I call.

Solar shingle

The first thing I want to look at are solar shingles. Energy savings and leaving a very small footprint is very important to me. Solar shingles or solar panels or solar modules, depending on where you look, typically look just like a regular asphalt shingle. They can be made to fit together well, are durable and are easy to install. The roof needs to have a pitch of 3/12 or more. They are comparatively expensive but they do have a long life.

Asphalt shingle

Asphalt singles are the most common roofing shingle in the U.S. They are easy to install and less expensive than most shingles. They are one of the fastest installations, sometimes removing an old roof and putting up the new one can be done in less than a day. However, oddly, they are virtually unused elsewhere except in the outhouses in Europe. They are made of bitumen covered with a ceramic grit that can come in many colors. You must have a slated roof.

Wood shingle

Wood shingles are made from tapered thin pieces of wood, like red cedar. The problem is that if the red cedar is young, the life expectancy of the wood shingle is much shorter than if the red cedar is older. With the older red cedar, the life of the wood shingle roof can be up to 30 years. Bolts of other hardwoods including white cedar can also be used. Wood shingles are sometimes used on walls as well. The early North American colonies used wood shingles for most of their roofs and Scandinavia used wood shingles more than anything else until the 1950s.

Shake

Shake shingle are made from logs that have been split. Shake shingles typically gives a rougher appearance and are used worldwide still. They require weatherproofing and more maintenance than a lot of other shingles.

Ceramic tile

Ceramic tile roofing is lovely, creating a beautiful roof that can last more than 100 years, however, it is very heavy, requiring a very strong support structurally and it comes with a very high price tag.

Slate

Slate is actually a rock made of clay or volcanic ash. It has a life expectancy of up to 400 years, but it comes with an enormous price tag. Australia, Bethesda, Wales and Spain produce the highest quality slate.

Home improvement news brought to you by bartonroof.com

Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_commercially_available_roofing_material

YOU forgot metal roofing options,

a lot depends on what one can afford, and the conditions in which /where one lives, if hail is common, wind and such, snow, etc. even fire resistance.

look around your neighbors roofs and that will give you guide as to what is common in your area,

but I am not sure if your really wanting advice or just blogging/spaming
    Last edited by BHD; 11-12-2015, 09:57 AM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

You did a pretty good job of disguising your spam post that promotes Barton Roof as a question about what roofing material to use.
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

1/20/2017 - The Beginning of a new Error

Comment

I like to use old records. Overlap and nail through the hole
        sigpic

Comment

Like BHD mentioned, metal roofing is an option. I used to consult Empire Roofing Corporation. Everything depends on what one can afford. Once you have an idea on how much you can afford, then plan accordingly.
          Last edited by peter_mil21; 12-06-2015, 12:13 PM. Reason: content rephrase

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            I like to use old records. Overlap and nail through the hole
            Old records will NOT work around here the hail breaks them up to fast, so we use old license plates, there much tougher, but it is getting harder than it once was when they went to mulit year license plates with the little stickers, on them, still saving for the garage, and the aluminum plates are not as trough as the old steel ones,

Like I said in my original post on this subject, you had not considered metal roofing options,
            Last edited by BHD; 12-07-2015, 11:26 AM.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

More types are Wood shingles, Slate shingles, Tile shingles. There are different types of metal roofing like tin, copper, aluminum. My brother choose metal roof repairs Fairfax, VA because that is eye catching therefore, it makes home look elegant.

Comment

Originally posted by nationscons
                You did a pretty good job. But you missed out on Fibreglass shingles and organic shingles.
                I would consider them a type of an asphalt shingle,
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                  YOU forgot metal roofing options,

a lot depends on what one can afford, and the conditions in which /where one lives, if hail is common, wind and such, snow, etc. even fire resistance.

look around your neighbors roofs and that will give you guide as to what is common in your area,

but I am not sure if your really wanting advice or just blogging/spaming
                  And on that note I would recommend Rustic Shingle.

Distinctive colors coordinate with any home
                  Concealed fasteners hold tight and never weather
                  Rugged texture with realistic wood grain
                  Maintenance free: will not rust, crack, or rot
                  Resists streaking and staining

Comment

Working...
                  X