• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving beam support post

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_22122.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	726567 It's been a PIA for years in my basement garage. When build new they put the beam post where our car door would hit it. Got a smaller car which didn't help. The steel beam is 17ft and supported on both ends by block. The support post is 1/2 way between both ends. My quest is can the post be moved or replaced with 2 posts at 1/3 and 2/3 the beam. Do I need to dig new base holes or can they just rest on floor concrete? How should I do this if possible?

Thanks

If you don't know how thick your base concrete is, then you'll have to find out. Perhaps it's consistent across the floor, but it may well have been made thicker under the existing post, so as to distribute the weight better to the subsoil below.

As far as providing two posts, instead of just the one, I would say Yes, that's possible but I wouldn't risk adding only one, and then moving the middle post. Put in the two posts, and then, and only then remove the middle post. If one steel post does the job handling half the span, then two posts dividing the span into thirds is mechanically sufficient.

But, you might want to question the steel beam's spam strength too. Do you really need the post at all? What's above the garage... just rafter space or do you use it for heavy storage or is there living space up there?

In putting in two new steel posts, make sure they are rated at the same or better than the existing post.

Note that I am NOT an engineer, and your best bet would be to seek an engineer's advice. You can also check with a local building supplier for specs on span allowances for the type of beam that you have or for foundation (concrete) requirements for steel posts.

CWS

Comment

I concur with CW Smth, the prudent thing is to contact an engineer for a presciptive solution. Having said that a direct method is to saw the slab and install to new steel posts with cast in place 24" square footing with reinforcing, install 4" schedule 40 posts bolted or welded to the beam. The footings are key because the load path of the structure will bear on them and not just the slab which could crack and settle and would not be good.

Don't know how comfortable you are doing this as it is bit of a project, but this is a simple job for most competent contractors.
      Last edited by Mightyservant; 01-26-2018, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions and will contact a Pro to do this some time this year. Above the beam is our living room area. Will post follow up...

Comment

another possibly is to add a second beam to the first beam and have it welded to the first or use a mag drill and bolt it, it may be just enough to us a channel iron, or square or rectangle tube, the same width and weld it to the I beam,

depth is the strength of the beam, and it may be enough to add 2 to 4 inches to the depth of the beam to remove the post completely,

but one would want to consult with a structural engineer for the answer.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

• Mightyservant
            Mightyservant commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, I've seen it done that way too, it's sort like increasing the depth of the beam without switching it out, and is an even be a better solution if the calculations work out.
        Working...
        X