Pipes in the way

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipes in the way

Hi i am new to this forum. I got this problem with drain pipes sticking out of framed wall about 2". I would like to know what to do so when i put up my dry wall it is straight and not have a bump .

Thanks

Here are some pics

Comment

Furr the wall out, meaning add 2 1/2" of framing material to each stud on the wall. This will make the wall thick enough to hide the pipe.

There is a lot written on this question in various DIY sites and YouTubes, this is no big deal.

Comment

I am glad to hear it is an easy fix. So i will furr this from joist to floor. How about moisture if this wood strip of 21/2" touches the concrete

Comment

• Mightyservant
          Mightyservant commented
          Editing a comment
          Use pressure treated wood that in contact with masonry, I'm giving you the short version, it just kind of depends how much pain you can absorb.

Rick made an excellent suggestion and that would be my choice if faced with this situation, a couple of inches often can make a lot of difference in a tight space.

• fixitright
          fixitright commented
          Editing a comment
          Mightyservant, How many jokes are in that tight space ordeal can you come up with?

If there is a cabinet base, you might be able to 45/45 the pipes back into the wall and not have to lose the extra 2.5"

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I am not trying to be nasty here, but if one does not know or figure out how to fur out some studs, my guess his ability to cut and re-plumb pipes is not in his skills either,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

• Rookiehandy
            Rookiehandy commented
            Editing a comment
            You not being nasty. I am looking for ideas on what to do. I framed 2 rooms in my basement built soffit for the duck work i am still learning but it is always good to hear ideas from other people.
            That section of the wall was already done by the builder and the pipes already done as well, i don't want to move the pipes digging etc don't want that.
            I guess i will lose 2" of the wall but my easier choice is to furr out the wall

Which came first, the pipe rough-in or the wall? I'm betting the pipe was there first.
          I don't think I would have gone ahead with the framing until I knew what the story
          was with the pipe not lining up with where your wall is planned for. Or maybe your
          layout on the wall is wrong.

Could you make this a 6" wall or just shift the existing wall?
          "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

Comment

• BHD
            BHD commented
            Editing a comment
            last night I was thinking about this thread, and wondered it this was load bearing wall and if not, if it could be shifted, some or moved, a few inches, as well.

Your really not that far along and it does appear that you don't have pressure treated wood for the floor plate. You have several options including moving the wall or increasing the wall size as Bob suggested.

Either way you should have treated lumber when your attached to masonry. The reason for this is that masonry absorbs and releases moisture and over time it will cause regular wood to decay.

Dont let this minor setback deter your efforts, it's just not that big a deal and you'll be able to revise your wall quicker than you think. That what experience does, we've all been there.

An excellent source of information for residential construction or remodeling can be found in the link. Great advice for all elements of home renovation that can save you time and money
          Expert home construction tips, tool reviews, remodeling design and layout ideas, house project plans, and advice for homeowners
          Last edited by Mightyservant; 02-19-2018, 01:37 PM.

Comment

• Rookiehandy
            Rookiehandy commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah it looks like the builder didn't use pressure treated wood for the bottom plate they only use plastic under neath the plate. When i framed the rooms i used treated wood, but for section of the wall which it was already done there isn't pressure treated wood only plastic.
            Thanks for your reply i will to ahead and furr out the wall even if i lose 2"

I think a "barrier" is allowed even though it's sort of taco, I don't know how much wall you have been if that's most of it you would not have to hard a time getting it right.

You might want to use a water based "copper treatment" on the sole plate particularly if it's going to be a wet area like a bathroom. But I must warn you it is a very intense odor. They have an oil based version which would be unbearable in an unventilated space and I would not use that as it's not recommended for indoor use.

Good luck with your renovation, these fine people will help you with any questions you might have, there is a wealth of knowledge here and plenty of folks who have all manner of expertise that at times is pretty amazing when you have a chance to follow along.

Comment

Thanks to everybody for their input , i will probably be here more often since i am finishing my basement now that i am done pretty much all the framing i will be hiring an electrician to wire my basement then i will move on to dry walling and trimming of the windows and doors.

Comment

• Mightyservant
              Mightyservant commented
              Editing a comment
              Outstanding, don't hesitate to ask for recomendations on any of the systems, there are a number of engineers, journymen, contractors, prosumers, cowboys and farmers who really know there stuff.
          Working...
          X