Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wall replacement in basement shower area?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wall replacement in basement shower area?

Need ideas on a project, background... house built in the early 50"s which has a shower in the basement. Dad had made a wall from 2x2's which was covered with 1/4inch play and then plastic tiles. I removed the wall due to rot and need to replace before sailing the home. Would like to put a shower unit but my understanding is the drains of that era don't have a p-trap and floor would need broken up? The floor is concave around the drain area. We did have a suggestion to use exoxy floor paint once the wall is done and leave shower area as is other than replacing the wall with something that will withstand the water from the shower. So what's the options for a wall?

thanks Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2615.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	739060Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2648.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	739061

the walls look to be concrete, I would use the concrete wall, and if you want a nicer look, used thinset and tile with with a ceramic tile, and if a third wall is wanted, use 4" block and lay one up,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I wouldn't replace the shower, I'd remove all traces of it and return it to its original state. I see many folks who are selling a home spending money on improvements that end up getting removed or replaced by the next owner. You could spend a small fortune only for it to end up in a dumpster. If the house was sold with the shower as an amenity you could give some money back then the next owner can do as they see fit.
      Last edited by Mightyservant; 04-11-2019, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Get a flashlight and see if there's any standing water in the drain indicating a trap, is this room part of a half bath , toilet and bath sink? is the basement finished? a basic fiberglass shower unit runs around $ 500.00 not installed if there is a drain you might want to insulate and sheetrock the walls and where the shower is buy white pebble plastic sheeting comes in sheets 4x8' and glue to the shower area and leave the floor be.

Comment

Originally posted by drainman scott View Post
          Get a flashlight and see if there's any standing water in the drain indicating a trap, is this room part of a half bath , toilet and bath sink? is the basement finished? a basic fiberglass shower unit runs around $ 500.00 not installed if there is a drain you might want to insulate and sheetrock the walls and where the shower is buy white pebble plastic sheeting comes in sheets 4x8' and glue to the shower area and leave the floor be.
          I'm leaning this way, but could you provide links to this product? Local to us is Lowes and HD. "
          white pebble plastic sheeting comes in sheets 4x8' and glue to the shower area and leave the floor be.". If not will just repaint the wall which is block and attach the fixtures as original.

thanks

Comment

Working...
        X