Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just bang it out .. What does that mean !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bang it out .. What does that mean !

I spend part of this week constructing and installing a studded drop ceiling in a bathroom on a 100 year old house ... I normally would not take on such task but did it as a favor for a contractor ( a friend of my daughters boyfriend ) who recently had a heart attack in the mist of a kitchen and bath remodel on this old house.

The bathroom which is below a in-law style apartment had a suspended drop ceiling with panel inserts that was installed some 20 years ago because of new wiring running under the original lath and plaster ceiling and a exhaust fan pipe running underneath as well .

The term just bang it out ( as this remodeling contractor calls it ) to me sounds like I should of accomplished this task in a couple to 3 hours ... In reality (which I live in) it took me 12 hours . Here is some pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bath begin.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	750305Click image for larger version

Name:	studding bath.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	750306Click image for larger version

Name:	studding bath 2.jpg
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	750307Click image for larger version

Name:	studding bath 3.jpg
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	750308Click image for larger version

Name:	sheetrock corner.jpg
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	750309Click image for larger version

Name:	finished drywall.jpg
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	750310

His customer happy and off his back ... Like me he works mainly alone with the help of his nephew , Ill will get paid for my time but hope he gets well soon because there's a boatload of work left to be done and now he knows I just don't bang things out but work at my pace ( snails ) .

Interesting. First of all, looks you did a magnificent job. Kudos. It seems we both work at the same pace with the same goals, unfortunately, my situation is at my job.

Comment

• drainman scott
      drainman scott commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank You for the compliment ... The funny thing is I spent hour and a half trying to figure out the exhaust fan .. It's got all kinds of bells and whistle's and wanted to make sure it works before drywall ... Only to find out from the owner in which was not there at the time it works on a phone app .

OMG, a bath vent fan that needs a stinking app to control it. What will they think of next.

You did good. I could not do that in 3 or 4 hours if I tried without it looking like a total disaster.
    Even then I don't think I could let myself do it. I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing I left some
    mess. I don't like hanging sheetrock and ceilings are the worst.
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" ? Bob D. 2006
    "?ǝɹɐ sɹǝƃuıɟ ɹnoʎ ǝɹǝɥʍ ʍouʞ noʎ op `ʍɐs ǝlqɐʇ ɐ s,ʇı"

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Comment

Nice job. These things do take time - maybe someone who does this regularly may have done it faster - either that or the guy who you did the work for does not care about the level of finish or quality you achieved?

I routinely encounter unrealistic expectations from some of my HVAC customers who think equipment can be installed or serviced quickly in all situations. I have to educate them on why some things take way longer than they think it should.

Comment

It's looks easy when you don't know what it takes to get it done.

Like brain surgery, I mean how hard can that be?
        "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" ? Bob D. 2006
        "?ǝɹɐ sɹǝƃuıɟ ɹnoʎ ǝɹǝɥʍ ʍouʞ noʎ op `ʍɐs ǝlqɐʇ ɐ s,ʇı"

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
          It's looks easy when you don't know what it takes to get it done.

Like brain surgery, I mean how hard can that be?
          Funny you mention surgery - I recently had an MD customer who was totally clueless about why it was taking long to troubleshoot an issue. I had to resort to drawing an analogy about trying to to diagnose a condition in a patient and how complex it could get sometimes be to get it right, before he got what I was saying.

Comment

Working...
          X