X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sea snake

I am looking to buy a new sea snake camera package. Probably the DVD with monitor, a 200 foot self leveling color camera and also the flat pack - 100 foot color camera. I'll be using this equipment in mostly service and repair cases such as after snaking a line that has roots. I don't foresee that it'll be often that I ever have to camera lines over four inch, except for the occassional apartment complex or light commercial building. I don't want to spend more money than I need to to get started. However. I don't want to be without the equipment on hand to get the job done. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

John

P.S. I have also already ordered a scout locator.
    THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Originally posted by Crappy days View Post
    I am looking to buy a new sea snake camera package. Probably the DVD with monitor, a 200 foot self leveling color camera and also the flat pack - 100 foot color camera. I'll be using this equipment in mostly service and repair cases such as after snaking a line that has roots. I don't foresee that it'll be often that I ever have to camera lines over four inch, except for the occassional apartment complex or light commercial building. I don't want to spend more money than I need to to get started. However. I don't want to be without the equipment on hand to get the job done. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

John

P.S. I have also already ordered a scout locator.

john, slow down. you're at both ends of the money scale

a color, self leveling dvd is the most expensive unit out there. a flat pack is the least expensive.

why not eliminate the dvd and the self leveling. i have 8 cameras and a self leveling is not one of them. no need for it and it's much more delicate. i've only had a few clients ask for a dvd. a flat pack is a no frills no bells and whistle machine. scale down from the top of the line and save some money. buy the 200' color full size see snake and the mini see snake.

by the way, you will need to do 6''. it starts at the sidewalk and runs into the street to the city main.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Sea Snake

I probably should have posted my question differently. I definetly want the dvd and self leveling camera. In the past I have been spoiled as the man I sub my camera work to always has the latest stuff. My big hang up is whether or not to spend the extra $2 grand on the mini verses the least expensive flat pack unit. In the past, the need for the smaller camera has not been as much or as often as the larger. Do you find that once you have it on hand that you find more use for it? My only other question is whether to go with the 200 or 325 push rod for the larger self leveling camera. The salesman keeps saying go larger, but I can't remember more than 2x in the last ten years that I have had to camera a line over 200 feet. Oh, and I don't know what its like in LA, but in San Diego once you pass the property line clean out -- you have to be an A rated contractor or contact the city to have repairs made. Therefore, being as I am a C-36, I don't plan on locating lines in the street.

Comment

I only know this because of my experience at some of the shows (they let me play salesman when the booth gets overloaded) I think most people buy the 325' reel because if the line gets snapped or damaged you can reterminate the reel and still have a full capacity reel.

Lets say the cable only pushes 200 feet effectively.

2 scenarios.

200' reel - break happesn at 100' you reterminate and have a camera that only goes out 95'

325' reel - break happens at 100' you reterminate and have a camera that still goes out 220'

I think thats the advantage. Correct me if im wrong plumber rick. Oh yeah if you are going down stream on a straight shot you may be able to push the cable a lot farther as well with the 325'

Later,

Josh

Comment

I would go the 200 feet if going with the mini as I have. Most residential your not going to camera more than 150 feet. and most less than that. Also most of the time you will not be able to push the camera that far if you have to many turns. I have used my camera on hospital jobs and found that it worked fine and with the grease and age of (cast iron pipe) or a belly in the pipe you just cannot push it in under these type of conditions. If your are the one using the machine it will last a lot longer with less chance of cable breakage because you will not over work the push cable. The scout locator is great I bought one and finding lines at the hospital was no problem even with all the electrical cables in ceiling and under ground. The down side at least for me is getting enough work to cover the cost of equipment. Your not going to sell it on every sewer job. The other thing I bought was the cable transmiter to hook to my K-60 machine cables. just snap on the transmitter and you can start locating with you scout. freddy

Comment

Sea Snake

Thanks for the reply Freddy. I would like to know do you have good results inspecting 4 and 6 inch lines with your mini. Is the picture clear, do you get a clear picture of the entire pipe. Do you or anyone else find themselves using the mini more often on mains then the full size. Thanks in advance

Comment

Sewer camera

One other thing I found a company out of Chicago that sells Sea Snake. They seem to be the least expensive. I was quoted 9,411.20 for the camera 200' , SL, Mon +DVD, 4,619.20 for the 200' color Mini.

Comment

I only have the mini 200 foot camera. On the jobs I have used the camera on it has preformed very well. The problems that I ran across at the hospital kitchen drain line Grease this will cause the camera to get blured, some times with water in the line, it could be cleared. Other wise you pull it out and go again. Belly in pipe under water you can't see much. They do have a ball type skid to put on camera spring to raise for picture angle, and they really work well. I do alot more residential than commercial work, but bought my camera for the hospital work. They had a need and I was not looking to call in a competetor to do something I could do. as I have done before. I can carry this up on the roof if needed, to run down vent stack. Small enough in size.
                My unit is with the vhs tape, I just like that better. Not sure about the leveling heard problems with that. The one line that I have run down into the city clay pipe main, could see great orange clay pipe color. I think you loose a little flexablity on the larger camera set up But maybe push longer distance down the line. For what I'am doing this one machine meets my needs fine. Bought mine in OK. found them in cleaner magazine. best price when I bought.

Comment

That sounds like a good price for the Mini camera, but you could do better on the 200' DVD SeeSnake.

Comment

crappy, if you're not in a real hurry, wait till june or july for the big phcc show in long beach. or if you can aford to get to nashville tenn. there is the hugh pumper/ cleaner show. all will have specials.

in the 10+ years that i've owned cameras, pre ridgid, i've never broken a push rod i have had transmitters go bad and a camera leak, but the cost was split with ridgid.

the extra 125' of cable is pretty costly. i doubt that you'll ever have a job that you can push more than 200'. i've only had a few and it's tuff.

the flat pack is an entry level camera. go with the mini and save some on the self level and dvd. i don't need a dvd. and a self level is too delicate. 50% of the time the non self leveling camera is correct. a little water is all that is needed to tell up from down.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Sea Snake

I would to thank every one for there input, it has been very helpful.

Comment

Working...
                      X