navitrack transmitter old and new

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• navitrack transmitter old and new

the navitrack transmitter model #14818 from 2004 and the navitrack 14818 from 2006 differ.

the older one is 1 watt and has different frequencies. the newer model has 10 watts.

i have a scout receiver. will either unit work with it and what is the advantage with the newer one compared to the older, orignal unit.

is it better to purchase a new model or a never used 2004 at a good price?

thanks,

rick.
    phoebe it is

Re: navitrack transmitter old and new

The advantage of one over the other is maximizing the number of frequencies that will work with your receiver. A few years back, we noticed that people were having problems with 512 Hz locating. They were trying to locate lines in sonde mode and vice versa. We changed the frequencies on both the receivers and transmitters to try to minimize that confusion.

The old Scout had 512 Hz, 8 kHz and 33 kHz for line trace. The new Scout has 1 kHz in place of the 512 Hz. Both the old and new NaviTrack Transmitter have 8 kHz and 33 kHz. If you are tracing metalic utility lines from the house to the street, both should meet your line trace needs.
    Mark F. Fleming<br />Product Manager<br />RIDGID/Kollmann

Comment

thank you mark, last question.

the older unit has 1 watt of transmit power. the new has 10 watts. is that going to make a big difference with locating piping within a persons property. not more than 10,000 square feet of land. also there is a question to the battery life. the owners manual states 12 1/2 hours. the 2004 cat. states 120 hours. which one is it? with 8 d batteries, it will get spendy at only 12.5 hours.

thanks,
      rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I have a new navitrack transmitter, and have only used it one time so far. My question, when using my cable machine, can I connect the transmitter directly to the cable and locate a sewer or drain line? Would I have to ground the transmitter and if so, to what? I appreciate the help.

Comment

this is not the best way to trace the sewer line. a sonde is much more accurate and precise.
          to do it your way would require a metalic sewer/ cast iron. also make sure to unplug your sewer machine from the power cord.otherwise you might trace the power or conduit. you also need to ground the transmitter cable.

if the line is plastic or clay. you might be able to use the inductive mode to energize the cable since there is no return path for ground.

once again, an inline sonde either attached to your cable or a push rod or a camera with sonde is your most accurate.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, did you have all your questions answered here. if no I will get mark to come in here and answer whatever questions you have.

Josh

Comment

thanks josh. i did call c/s and there is no real answer. either the owners manual is off, or the c/s rep is off

all the specs are different in the manual compared to what the c/s is telling me.

they claim the units are the same except that a couple of frequencies were changed to keep from making a mistake.

the power output and battery life are my real questions. is it 1 watt, 3 watts, or 10 watts?
              is it 12.5 hours on a set of 8 d batteries or is it 120+ hours?

the manual or the c/s is off. which one is it?

thanks for the concern josh.

please speak to the higher ups, to send you to the june long beach, calif phcc show. we don't have elvis, but we do have hollywood bound to be an elvis or 2 there.

plus you might even meet utah, dog, mrs. seat down, and the new kid on the block, dirty hands of course i'll be there early and leave late.
              see what it takes. marks got breakfast covered and i'll pick up dinner.

thanks josh.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by FlaPlumin View Post
                I have a new navitrack transmitter, and have only used it one time so far. My question, when using my cable machine, can I connect the transmitter directly to the cable and locate a sewer or drain line? Would I have to ground the transmitter and if so, to what? I appreciate the help.
                Rick is right in that a sonde would work much better in a sewer or drain then energizing your cable. However, in the old days (70s) we use to trace our cable in plastic and clay lines using our Goldak locators. We could not trace in cast-iron but we could tell where the cast-iron stopped and the clay starter while installing main cleanouts on houses. The Navitrack is so far superior to Goldak I am sure you would have at least the same results as we did using the old Goldaks.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Plumber Rick,

Sorry about that, I thought that I answered all of your questions. I missed the most important one.

The C/S rep is correct and the manual is correct. We did change frequencies because we were having issues with people trying to locate lines in Sonde mode and vice versa. It can dramatically affect the depth if you are in the wrong mode. Battery life is only 12.5 hours when you run the batteries hard (at high output power, the only option you had on the 1 Watt and 3 Watt transmitter) and battery life can be maxed out at 120 hours when the transmitter is used only on its lowest power output setting.

The lowest setting it typically fine for most traces conducted between the house and the street.

Comment

thanks mark, how do you run the old navitrack transmitter at a low setting? is one frequency output a lower wattage than the others?
                    what output is the inductive mode?
                    what power transformer is recommended for the rear d.c in? is it avaliable as an option or do i go buy a generic adapter?

thanks.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

The 1 Watt transmitter is just that, a 1 Watt transmitter. all other transmitters can be adjusted by pressing and holding the frequency key until it blinks. while it is blinking the five buttons allow you to step the power output down (far right being full power and each one being ~1/2 the power of the one to the right).

Inductive for the 1 Watt is at 1 Watt. The other transmitters' power output can be adjusted in the same way as described above. Note for best inductive performance always use the 8k or higher frequencies.

The transmitters operate with generic style transformers. The input is listed on the transmitter ad is 12-15V at 30Watts.

Comment

thanks for the explanation.

the owners manual needs to be revised. the online one is also old and is not the current model either.

i'll play now.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Rick

You can actually power your older Navitrack transmitter with the Compact Seesnake A/C adapter.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                          X