X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cassette/DVD

Before we launched the DVD, we did drop testing, temperature testing, testing in mud and a whole slew of environmental testing. The DVD player held up better under these conditions. As to why, I can only assume that the DVD must have less moving parts and that nothing comes in direct contact with the recording media like it does in the VCR.
    Mark F. Fleming<br />Product Manager<br />RIDGID/Kollmann

Comment

I can tell you that the VCR units are much more durable than the DVD units.
      I inspected approx 5000 mainlines with a VCR unit, and only one time did I have a problem with the VCR unit. The one time I did have a problem the VCR unit needed to be replaced.

We have four DVD units, and everyone of them have given us problems.
      I do approx 17-22 mainline inspections per week, and my DVD unit fails atleast 3-5 times per week. Sometimes it is a write fail, most of the time it is a finalize failure. Im about to stop using the DVD unit as it is costing me time, and money..

Im really stuck in a bad spot over this..
      Our customers laugh, and want a discount when we hand them a VHS cassette.
      I cant redo inspections over, and over because the DVD unit fails..

Comment

i just had my 3rd. customer that doesn't have a vcr

not bad in 10 years of camera inspections. 1 had no t.v

the times i've had an issue, it's been with the tape. swap tape and i'm good to go. less than 10 times. and have were from a bad batch of tapes.

can't see myself switching to a dvd any time soon.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          i just had my 3rd. customer that doesn't have a vcr

not bad in 10 years of camera inspections. 1 had no t.v

the times i've had an issue, it's been with the tape. swap tape and i'm good to go. less than 10 times. and have were from a bad batch of tapes.

can't see myself switching to a dvd until I decide there cool and I get a good deal.

rick.
          I took the liberty of changing your post to be more factual. You don't want to be like the nerdy kid who was the last one to get rid of his 8-track player.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mark, the story about old dogs can apply to my old plumber too

Joey
            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by Sewerguru View Post
              I can tell you that the VCR units are much more durable than the DVD units.
              I inspected approx 5000 mainlines with a VCR unit, and only one time did I have a problem with the VCR unit. The one time I did have a problem the VCR unit needed to be replaced.

We have four DVD units, and everyone of them have given us problems.
              I do approx 17-22 mainline inspections per week, and my DVD unit fails atleast 3-5 times per week. Sometimes it is a write fail, most of the time it is a finalize failure. Im about to stop using the DVD unit as it is costing me time, and money..
              We sent you a private message but haven't heard back from you yet. With this many write and finalize failures, we would like to know more about the disks you are using.

As for durability, the issues you are having deal with the technology of the recording medium not with how rugged the player actually is. When I posted earlier that these devices were more rugged, we have found that in testing that they held up longer than the VCR players when subjected to various extremes.

As for recording to DVDs, it is more complicated than recording to VCRs and may at times be more frustrating. When recording to DVDs, it is important to always use a high quality DVD. The bulk DVDR specials you see in the paper do not record with the same consistency. It is also important that the disks going into the burner are clean. The environment we work in is messy, but this recording medium is dealing with light. Dirt and smudges can cause problems. Also, make sure that you do not turn off the unit before finalizing the disk.

There are extra steps and extra care that need to be taken with this recording medium. It is just one of those drawbacks of DVD recording. Unfortunately as noted in earlier posts, it is the direction that technology is currently taking us.

We would be happy to continue to discuss this through postings or through private conversations so that we can better understand the problems you are having.
              Mark F. Fleming<br />Product Manager<br />RIDGID/Kollmann

Comment

Opps, You know...your right, my mistake.

Maybe the DVD units are more durable..

I guess I should have said the VCR units are much more reliable than the DVD units.

Comment

Ok, guys got your private message.

As for the quality of the DVD, Ive tried three brands (including the ones you send with the units). All have failed...

I even tried all three DVD's @ one job I was getting errors @, and got the dreaded error with all three... It is not the DVD.

Comment

Working...
                  X