X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sr.-20 ? - transmitters -which do you prefer

when I purchased the sr-20 I also purchased both the 5 watt transmitter and the 10 watt transmitter , the 5 watt primarily for the dual frequency option while locating , the 10 for more power on longer runs . I have used the general locators in the past Not having anything to compare to I thought these were great .I can honestly say the sr-20 is one sweet piece of equipment.Could you please share info. on any tech . / dare I say tricks for energizing say a 1/4" cabe in a water line, or fish tape , or anything else which is too small for a sonde to enter. Wouldn't the same be true for say disconnecting a gas line [one without a tracer, in P.E.] ,and locating it this way.I will be asking a lot of questions about this in the near future as my next ad will now have line location listed as well as our other services - while I"m here , I see my posts and responses are winding up everywhere - still trying to fine - tune my computer skills - if I pop up in your space or you ort step on your responses or erase some ###@%&$ thing , please excuse me

Re: sr.-20 ? - transmitters -which do you prefer

When trying to energize a cable or fish tape, there are tricks that can help you have more success, but there is never a guarantee. The trick is to create the best circuit possible. This starts with making sure that the transmitter is well grounded. The better your ground, the better chance for success. (A good ground is when a lot of metal is in contact with moist soil).

Secondly, you need current to be able to get off the cable and into the ground so that it can return to your transmitter. If the pipe is plastic, the plastic will act like an insulator. The more cable you have in the pipe and the more moisture in the pipe, the better your chance to locate it. (It is not quite true, but you can think of it as the more cable and more moisture equals more surface area for current to tunnel through to get into the ground). Higher frequency should work better than lower frequency. Higher frequency is better at overcoming resistance (or the insulating capabilities of plastic pipe). Think of it like FM versus AM radio. FM radio stays clear even when the car travels under train trusses or power lines. It is a higher frequency and can power through areas that should cause it to weaken.

Make sure that you have good metal to metal contact between the calbe and the transmitter clips. Rust and grime can increase resistance. Make sure you clips bite into the metal.

Now that you have set up the best circuit that you can, you want to make sure that the current (the signal) is flowing the way that you want it to flow. make sure that your machine is unplugged and that it is isolated from the ground. (you wouldn't want your signal flowing into the power grid or into the ground through the feet. You want it to flow down the cable).

Last comment is on the ground spike. The larger the better as implied earlier in this post, but also you may improve your success by placing your ground spike in the general direction that you think the pipe is flowing. Move it around a bit to see what gives you the best signal. Also keep it fairly close to your transmitter. Any utility you crossover when grounding is now in your return path for your current and could become energized to the point that you mistake it for the cable you are trying to trace.

If you are locating in plastic pipe, you are trying to energize a very resistive circuit. The more current you can put on the circuit, the better your chances. When you find a job that works well, take a few extra minutes to experiment to see what works best for you. Try different frequencies. try moving your ground rod (or even try different ground rods). Try it with the cable in all the way, or just a little way in. Mix it up a bit, these few extra minutes spent on one that works well will help you better diagnose those difficult ones.
    Mark F. Fleming<br />Product Manager<br />RIDGID/Kollmann

Comment

Re: sr.-20 ? - transmitters -which do you prefer

Thank-you very much , weather permitting I will try these techniques this week-end , and let me say I think this ridgid forum is excellent [ hopefully it will continue to attract craftsman and not turn into a free sight - we need this to grow , it could be great ] Hey Dog

Comment

Working...
      X