the mother of all jewels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the mother of all jewels

well this was a very happy day for the homeowner husband and wife of 40+ years.

the mrs. had accidentally dropped her 1 of a kind engagement ring down the toilet and flushed

the husband was very cleaver and located the 3'' sewer branch feeding the upstairs master bathroom. he stuffed a section of screen mesh into the line to filter out the waste. no luck in 2 days and that's where i come in

i ran my color seesnake in from the driveway 3'' test tee. this allowed me to go back wards into the main, up a wye and into the vertical line feeding the master bathroom. as i turned horizontal again at 13' in, i spotted what looked like a ring. not sure i continued to 28' at the closet bend/ toilet. i pulled back to 13' and had the owner take a look on my briefcase monitor/ vcr.

i decided that i could disconnect a wye fitting in the riser and divert the line to the outside of the driveway. this allowed me to place a 5 gallon bucket under the temporary 3'' line and had the customer flush. he balled up a wad up paper to tennis ball size. i had him flush and i heard a tumbling of metal down the line into the bucket. had i just found the ring? not sure as the bucket was full of paper and Pooh as i slowly tilted the bucket to drain the contents, there she was

the mother of all jewels. it looked like a kings crown a hugh ring with a array of diamonds and rubies mounted on a gold and platinum setting.

the owners were thrilled. she didn't even wipe it off. she put it back on her finger.

i was excited too. i never knew something so big could flush down the toilet and make it out the other end

i was curious as to the value of this monster ring. i asked if it was in the 30-40,000 range. the owner just smiled, i take that as a yes and then some

well i have it all on tape so this fishing story is not the one that got away

just in time for the big show tomorrow.

my fee to camera locate and remove and reinstall the 3'' riser.

$350.00 a real bargain. my price if i didn't find it. $350.00

did i get a tip no

would i have taken a tip

rick.
    phoebe it is

Re: the mother of all jewels

Good story Rick. And glad to see you charged a fair fee and didn't gouge them. They certainly would have willing to pay more for the recovery.

I think I would have washed that the ring off before I put it back on though.

you've probably made a customer for life there, if you didn't have them already.
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

nice job rick
      now if some one was to charge a flat rate what would it be

if i had something like that happen to me i would not hesitate to pay that amount .
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I tip my hat to you on this one. I would've been stumped for sure. This story belonged in "jobsite stories".
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Rick, how long did this job take?
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

In my flat rate book the camera service would have run 360.00 for the first 2 hours. I cannot tell you what the disconnect would run as I do not exactly understand what rick did. However if this service was completed in the two hour period we would have just charged parts + the 360.00. If there was truly something wrong with the line then we would give an estimate based on time and material. In the book I use I do not have prices for this type of work as every home or situation could be different.
            THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              Rick, how long did this job take?

start to finish was 2 hours. including the r&r of the 3'' waste line. also included was 2- 3'' no hub bands.

this job was a referral from my plumbing buddies shop. josh and adam/ dirtyhands had the pleasure to meet him yesterday on the golf outing.

the real funny thing is that the owner called late wednesday to sch. this job. i told him i was booked the next day, i already had 1 camera job and needed to get josh at 10:30 from the airport and play golf. the customer was still continuing to use this bathroom against my advice, but did put a screen netting in the c/o to sift his treasures

as i was finishing up, i noticed a set of golf clubs in his car. he mentioned that he just got home from a game 1/2 hour before i showed up.

he just finished playing the same course that josh, adam , steve and i played yesterday. what a small world. even smaller when adam lives approx. 40 miles from me and it turns out that my camera job yesterday, and adam's job that he left to meet us at the golf course was less than 2 blocks away

small world when you think of it

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

So it's not a blood diamond,itsa mud diamond.

Good job Rick,hats off to the homeowner with skills.

So now we can put him in a uniform,give him a van and call him a tech(presuming techs have drivers license) so we can charge $300.00 an hour for him

Sorry flatfoots,I saw the shot-I felt the shot-and then took the shot

Westcoast, you can pay me back tommorrow at the ridgid booth

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                  So it's not a blood diamond,itsa mud diamond.

Good job Rick,hats off to the homeowner with skills.

So now we can put him in a uniform,give him a van and call him a tech(presuming techs have drivers license) so we can charge $300.00 an hour for him

Sorry flatfoots,I saw the shot-I felt the shot-and then took the shot

Westcoast, you can pay me back tommorrow at the ridgid booth

adam, problem was the shot landed on the wrong fairway

i couldn't help it

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    adam, problem was the shot landed on the wrong fairway

i couldn't help it

rick.
                    I just busted out laughing so loud I scared the S#!^ out of my dog

Tuche'

Comment

You just made Rick laugh so hard he started choking. Don't think I'll split the inheritance with you if you kill him off Ok maybe there'll be an extra camera in the pot for ya!

Never mind. He;s talking again. So he isn't really choking

By the way, is Mrs. clean hands coming tomorrow?

Joey
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        You just made Rick laugh so hard he started choking. Don't think I'll split the inheritance with you if you kill him off Ok maybe there'll be an extra camera in the pot for ya!

Never mind. He;s talking again. So he isn't really choking

By the way, is Mrs. clean hands coming tomorrow?

Joey
                        Joey,
                        Both she and I are bummed she has to work in the morning.

Had we known it was going to grow into something as big as this she would have taken the day off.Next year for sure

Comment

Working...
                        X