X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Micro Snake - how far can you see?

Looking for the practical visual range ahead of the LED when snaking in wall cavity. How far ahead of the light source/lens can you clearly see? 12"? 24"? more?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Re: Micro Snake - how far can you see?

I believe the focal length is 1" through 12" but it really depends on what you are trying to look at.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

if it is in a dark color walls it is below 12"

if it is in a sheet metal duct it is more
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

My first intended use of the SeeSnake Micro (if I buy one) is to examine the interior of cavity walls in a historic house that we've been hired to restore. The house has extensive original plaster walls w/plaster moldings, and many rooms have ornate wood paneling - all of which we are reluctant to take out for obvious reasons. We want to be able to visualize the cavities for plaster blockages, protruding nails, and other debris before we begin extensive work on upgrading the wiring and plumbing.

Do you figure that the clear vision distance of 12" you suggested is limited more due to the brightness of the LED's or to the quality of the optics? In other words, if we could get more light inside the walls, do you think that we could see clearly enough 24"+ past the lens for what we want to do? Or would we always be wondering what we were really looking at until we were within 12" or less because of the lens quality?

Thanks again for your input.

Comment

Its all about focal length. Ya have to pick where your picture is gonna be the clearest just like a digital camera (can't be focused on everything in the range). Not sure what the optimal focal length is. I'll have to check into it.

Josh

Comment

Great question.

Would this tool be good to check contents of rooms i.e. into 10x10 or a 10x15 room, could I determine if it had contents or is that beyond the limits of the Rigid?

Comment

Is this a pitch black room or a lighted one. Any image that would be across the room would not be focused. but you would be able to see a blury picture. The camera is made for close up when doing inspections.

Comment

The first thing I did when I got my Micro was to see how it works. It seems to be a pinhole camera and if there is enough lighting, can see quite far. If you turn on the lights in a room, you'll see everything in the room clearly. The LED is not that bright because if it were very bright in a pipe, the closer part of the pipe would be over illuminated and blind the Micro. I had to check the cooktop hood vent and used the Micro. It reached the end of the vent pipe but I could not see anything beyond it. I poked my maglight in the vent pipe and I could see beyond where the vent ended and the roof above it. So, since it seems to be a pinhole type camera, it seems to see from about 1/2" to infinity, if the lighting is good.

Comment

Working...
                X