X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SeeSnake for water lines?

The cameras are invaluable tools for drain inspections, but when I get a call for a burst watermain, and the customer wants to do a spot repair instead of replacing the entire line, if I'm lucky, the water will be bubbling up and I can find it right away. But there are times when I wish there was a way to pinpoint the location. Easiest way I figured would be to use a SeeSnake, but I haven't yet seen one that can go through 3/4" lines. Anyone know if one exists?

Re: SeeSnake for water lines?

Originally posted by darkmonk View Post
    The cameras are invaluable tools for drain inspections, but when I get a call for a burst watermain, and the customer wants to do a spot repair instead of replacing the entire line, if I'm lucky, the water will be bubbling up and I can find it right away. But there are times when I wish there was a way to pinpoint the location. Easiest way I figured would be to use a SeeSnake, but I haven't yet seen one that can go through 3/4" lines. Anyone know if one exists?

Dont think youd want to be putting seesnake in a water line.....Might want to try leak detection equip. If water is not already blowing up from the ground, the leak detection is usually right on the money...
    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

i have used a seesnake for a fire main to locate a buried valve. easy to spot the valve, hard to locate through the ductile iron pipe. especially 8' deep

recently i had a 1'' copper line at a new dog pound that had a hot water leak. the pipe was buried under some very expensive concrete that was specified for the kennels. i had a special camera that is 50' and a 7/8'' head with locator. i was able to push it into the 1'' copper and spot a questionable area.

the concrete was cut at 2 ends and the 20' section of copper was pulled out while the new copper was pulled in. the copper was sent back to the manufacturer for inspection and was determined it was a defect. you couldn't see the problem with the naked eye, but the camera picked up on a questionable area.

this system was under pressure for months before it showed up.

so with the right camera and proper sanitary cleaning, it can be done.

p.s this was an industrial water/ non potable system.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
        Dont think youd want to be putting seesnake in a water line.....Might want to try leak detection equip. If water is not already blowing up from the ground, the leak detection is usually right on the money...

We have a leak detector, but the darn thing is so sensitive, it'll pick up people walking around 100 feet away.

Comment

It doesnt have a mode for different frequencies?? Sensitive mode? How about mute button?? I had the same problem, but after messing with the Hi Lo freq. i was able to bleed that noise out.
          The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Working...
          X