Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Willing to Help a Home Inspector?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Willing to Help a Home Inspector?

Hi all.

I've been inspecting homes for 10 years and been building stuff for 20 + years.

I'm looking to diversify my inspection biz and am researching providing camera inspections for the side sewers (residential only).

I know enough to make me dangerous, but I'm looking for more specific training, manuals, study courses, etc.. to really learn what I need about recognizing lateral line defects.

Would youse plumbers be willing to help out with some ideas?

Randy F. Navarrro
    http://thecompleteinspection.com
    Last edited by Randy Navarro; 12-21-2007, 05:34 PM. Reason: adding signature
    Randy Navarro

Re: Anyone Willing to Help a Home Inspector?

Originally posted by Randy Navarro View Post
    Hi all.

I'm looking to diversify my inspection biz and am researching providing camera inspections for the side sewers (residential only).

I know enough to make me dangerous, but I'm looking for more specific training, manuals, study courses, etc.. to really learn what I need about recognizing lateral line defects.

Randy F. Navarrro
    Diagnosing is easy in that if you find water ponding, out of round pipe or roots coming in through the wall of the pipe you know the sewer is bad. The hard part is what happens when you get your camera stuck somewhere and have no idea what to do about it. The answers to those questions are generally learned by understanding the installation and years of working with the camera. If you are willing to assume the liability of digging up the sewer to free your camera you should be fine.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      The hard part is what happens when you get your camera stuck somewhere and have no idea what to do about it. The answers to those questions are generally learned by understanding the installation and years of working with the camera. If you are willing to assume the liability of digging up the sewer to free your camera you should be fine.

Mark
      Mark, how many times has that happened to you and how did you resolve the problem?
      Randy Navarro

Comment

Mark, how many times has that happened to you and how did you resolve the problem?
        Part of the learning experience is knowing when not to get into a situation as such. I have been stuck a couple of times but never where I have needed to dig the line up. The difference between a Home Inspector and a Plumber is the Home Inspector only needs to report they believe there is a problem which needs a repair or further investigation where a Plumber needs to figure out a fix. Because of this a plumber may go a little further into a problem then you would need to as an inspector.

If your are really looking to gain some experience you may want to consider asking a local company if you can ride with them on occasion.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Hi all.

Randy F. Navarrro
          Randy, I don't think it possible to train anyone in this by text message. You only know what you are looking at after more than a little bit of experience, and it takes a whole other level of experience to say accurately what is likely to cause a problem and what isn't, and there are all kinds of tricks and all kinds of pitfalls. It'd take me forever to tell just what I know, which is probably a long way from everything, and thats just on the equipment with which I am familiar.

Instead, how about this? Find a competant experienced professional who has the equipment and partner with them. Get them to kick you a discounted fee for say 6 months to try it out and see if you are sending them enough business to warrant the discount and if it is providing appropriate value to your customers.

-Alex
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Good thoughts, Alex. Thanks.

Here's what I'm thinking: you experienced plumbers have been out in the field for lots o' years. You've installed, repaired, and replaced countless miles of pipe.

You get your first camera. I would imagine the very first time you actually saw inside that pipe was a whole new world, no? In some ways, didn't you feel like a rookie all over again?

You were looking at a different set of variables. It's one thing to dig up the pipe and see the roots and defects from the outside, but how did it look on the inside and how did you interpret it?

No, I don't expect instant training via a web board or text instructions and I don't expect to put myself in the same league as you experienced folk.

Like all the other systems in a home that I must be versed in, I need to educate myself and absorb as much information and study as I can get my hands on.

This trendy new thing called the internet just helps me get the info faster.
            Randy Navarro

Comment

it's sort of like the x-ray tech that takes the x-rays and the radioligist. the tech takes picters all day long and can probably interprit 75% of what they are looking at.

the radioligist knows 100% what they are looking at and should also know the course of action.

pushing a camera into a line is not very difficult. locating the real problem and giving real advise is experience.

out of all the other guys tapes i see second hand, there have been only a few that were worth a dam. the majority of them are a sales pitch and most have no audio, distance or information that is useful.

not sure if you see the direction i'm going, but i know i'm qualifed to inspect homes, i choose to inspect just the plumbing side. sure if i see something while under the house, i'll mention it to the buyer, but that's just to give them a heads up, not an inspection report.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                The hard part is what happens when you get your camera stuck somewhere and have no idea what to do about it. The answers to those questions are generally learned by understanding the installation and years of working with the camera.

Mark
                Thats an interesting point ,

I have not done drain work or camera work , since I left that part of plumbing a few years ago, BUT I love to hear good tips like that

I never thought of that part.

It must be scary the first time you get a $xxxx camera stuck

Thanks for sharing!
                Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

No I`m not until you have done an apprenticeship in plumbing and got the qualifications, just because you have ten years as a home inspector dosen`t make you a plumber.
                  I am about to buy a seesnake to inspect sewers that I have just cleaned to make sure they are cleaned properly as I feel I have been working in the dark for the last thirty years, but every time I put a cable down I wonder will it be an easy clean or will I get stuck which is every plumbers nightmare.
                  So stick to what you are qualified in.

Regards
                  Tony

Comment

Get in good with a plumber who has a camera, throw all your camera work his way and he will take care of you.

If you get your $10,000 canera stuck, you won't be happy, when you break a camera head or a a transmitter and spend 700-1200 to replace it, you won't be happy, not only that, it takes years of knowledge to properly diagnose a drain or sewer problem. Not only that only that, to properly be set up you need a camera to do 2" lines and one to do 4", I have the seesnake and the mini seesnake, and the micro, you need to cover all your bases. Don't forget the locator also, a camera isn't any good if you can't find the head.

We never make our money back on the cost of a camera, the camera is a way to resolve our customers issues, to provide excellent customer service and diagnose replacements and repairs.

Not only do we have the cost of the camera, but the up keep also.

You look at it as a way to make extra money now, but you will be doing yourself and the customer a disservice.
                    Last edited by westcoastplumber; 01-31-2008, 11:53 PM.
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

I do some internet work for a Home Inspection school Hondros College as well as Ohio Power Tool and while they do a great job training people what to look for and how to do an inspection, obviously most of the real learning happens on the job.
                      Jay
                      Ohio Power Tool - Ridgid
                      Coptool - Power Tool Blog

Comment

You just need to come spend a week at "my school" and I`ll show you the does and don'ts. I can always use a good grunt for a week or two

I`m doing a sewer repair tomorrow that a plumbing co that I started with back in 1986 couldn't figure out
                        (pic`s to come)

They did the rough-in and then the complete,. 3 weeks later no sewer

Makes you feel good when you run past the guy`s that got you started

PS....Rick the K-7500 will cut Concrete in a 6" main will the K-60???
                        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X