X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sewer cameras

I have been looking into buying a sewer camera and have been getting a case of sticker shock . I was just wondering what the best camera for the buck might be? Has anyone used the General Wire Gen-Eye? if so how does it compare to the more expensive Ridgid SeeSnake? Should a person buy one with all the bells and whistles or is the base unit fine enough to start with?
    ________
    HERBAL VAPORIZERS
    Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:34 PM.
    Mike

Re: sewer cameras

I'm curious to see opinions on other cameras in here. I went around at got the sales pitch from all the competitors. BTW... General = Raytech as far as cameras. They are their OEM.

On the bells and whistles question. It really boils down to what you are using it for. If you don't need to record then just the monitor would do fine for assessing the situation. You also need to factor in if you want to be able to locate your camera after you find the blockage/problem. Go as simple as you can and make sure you evaluate what you will actually use or want to use in the future. If you are going with recording you need to think about what people will be able to watch easily. VHS is dying off. Less people have their vcrs hooked up each year. DVD should be around for a long time. Digital will eventually take over dvd down the road.

Josh

Comment

Josh i do not live to far from Elyria and was wondering if you at Ridgid Pipe have a display area set up where people can come in and see the items and how well they work before they purchase a Item. I have been to tool shows at Wolff Bros. but they never seem to have a working unit set up to see the clarity of the camera.
      ________
      Magic flight
      Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:34 PM.
      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
        I'm curious to see opinions on other cameras in here. I went around at got the sales pitch from all the competitors. BTW... General = Raytech as far as cameras. They are their OEM.

On the bells and whistles question. It really boils down to what you are using it for. If you don't need to record then just the monitor would do fine for assessing the situation. You also need to factor in if you want to be able to locate your camera after you find the blockage/problem. Go as simple as you can and make sure you evaluate what you will actually use or want to use in the future. If you are going with recording you need to think about what people will be able to watch easily. VHS is dying off. Less people have their vcrs hooked up each year. DVD should be around for a long time. Digital will eventually take over dvd down the road.

Josh

good reply Josh, exactly what i wouldve said.
        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Josh,

How do i hook up a dvd that will record things onto a sewer camera that Rob has?

He has the vhs one..what should i buy? is it easy to hook up?

Comment

Josh, how hard would it be to provide a usb output on the see snake micro so that the video could be viewed on a laptop.? I was kind of surprized that it does not have one already.
            sigpic

Comment

This would work great. Some competitors of ours are using this as the recording unit integrated into their machines. It records to DVD and will take input from a bunch of sources. Doesnt record to digital though. Just dvd. Just hook up the video out from the vhs monitor.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...lang=en-US&s=1

Originally posted by mrs. westcoast View Post
              Josh,

How do i hook up a dvd that will record things onto a sewer camera that Rob has?

He has the vhs one..what should i buy? is it easy to hook up?

Ask the guys who were at the Pumper show. They got to see a prototype of the next gen. coming out very soon. Short answer to your question is yes.

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
              Josh, how hard would it be to provide a usb output on the see snake micro so that the video could be viewed on a laptop.? I was kind of surprized that it does not have one already.

Comment

Is there anything like that but records to a DVD and flash drive? Me and Greg were talking about this very thing this morning and then Josh has his post-scary.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Oooo. Ooooo, flash drive, great idea. Get the patent quick.
                  sigpic

Comment

Ask the guys who were at the Pumper show. They got to see a prototype of the next gen. coming out very soon. Short answer to your question is yes.
                    just wait until this comes out if you use your micro a lot you will defiantly get one of these
                    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

There are some options that record to dvr. In my opinion One of the best options is to buy the Archos 605 with the travel dvr cord so you can record to it. ya gotta have both so you can record it it. Also.. the 605 can be purchased with an sd slot on it as well.

Archos 605

http://www.archos.com/products/gen_5...global&lang=en

Travel DVR

http://www.amazon.com/Archos-DVR-Tra...4509363&sr=8-2

I think ToUtahNow tried something like this. Maybe he can chime in. I have played with this setup and it works well once you get the hang of it.

Josh
                      Last edited by Josh; 03-02-2008, 09:49 PM.

Comment

This would work great. Some competitors of ours are using this as the recording unit integrated into their machines. It records to DVD and will take input from a bunch of sources. Doesnt record to digital though. Just dvd. Just hook up the video out from the vhs monitor.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...lang=en-US&s=1
                        this is what i have and bought it at costco too. $190.00

it doesn't require a computer to burn to dvd. it also has card slots built into it and a little video screen.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, just for confirmation... this doesnt record to the card slots right. just to the dvd burner. The card slots are there so you can move pictures off of them right?

Josh

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          this is what i have and bought it at costco too. $190.00

it doesn't require a computer to burn to dvd. it also has card slots built into it and a little video screen.

rick.

Comment

Rick, just for confirmation... this doesnt record to the card slots right. just to the dvd burner. The card slots are there so you can move pictures off of them right?

Josh
                            correct. the cards are for transferring out to dvd in.

here is a list of supported input sources for photo recording: memory stick duo and pro duo, memory stick and pro memory stick, sd memory card,sd hc memory card, xd picture card, compact flash, sony hdd/dvd/memorystick handycam camcorders.

video recording input sources: analog audio / video outputs from vcr,dvr ect. sony camcorders or other camcorders with a dv jack.

the recordable disc are dvd+r,+rw,-r,-rw,+rdl

plus all sorts of other stuff. look up on the website to be sure for your applications.
                            i though you're the pro on this stuff

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

I am but I haven't played with this one yet. While snooping around at the Pumper show I talked with a Sreco salesman for 20 minutes about their new camera that has this sony dvd burner integrated with it. I asked him if it recorded to flash cards or usb. he told me yeah it does... see the slots on the side. And yeah you can record digital video to usb too. theres a slot on this side for usb. I played dumb and asked more questions about it. He promised it would do all this great stuff and record to the cards you put in the side. I knew I had looked into this before and that that unit only records to dvd and uses those slots as only inputs. So he kept up the lie and I asked him to demonstrate it for me. He spent 5 minutes trying to track down a card in their booth. Once they found the card he put it in and couldnt get it to record to it. So then he told me he just didnt know how to demo it correctly. So I waited around until he got another salesman. He couldnt do it either. They kept the lie up the whole time I was there even when I caught em on it.

Anyways.. I walk to the next booth Vision Technologies. They have the same sony unit with their cameras. I ask them the same question. Their answer was yes. it records to digital. So I said.. So I can take my sd card and it will burn the video to it. They said yes... but let me check with one of the other salesman to make sure. He comes back and tells me it can. I ask him to demo it to me. And darned if he couldnt get it to work either.

Anyways.. that my rant. Just frustrating that they are promising all these drain guys that it records to dvd and dvr when it really doesnt.

Josh

Comment

Working...
                              X