Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the Word on Ratech Sewer Camera?

Our B&W Seesnake just came out of the shop again. At least the 4th time in the past year. So I'm shopping around for the latest and greatest. I came across Ratech and really like the features. Some of which Ridgid doesn't have yet.

Opinions? Comments? Criticism's

http://www.rjmcompany.com/Inspector-...ion-camera.pdf

Re: What's the Word on Ratech Sewer Camera?

I know very little and have no experience using cameras, but am interested in one. I recently looked at Spartans 2.0 system and liked it & the features. Once again, I have zero experience with Seesnakes or any other brand and was curious as to what experienced people thought about the Spartan system as well as the Ratech.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
      Our B&W Seesnake just came out of the shop again. At least the 4th time in the past year. So I'm shopping around for the latest and greatest. I came across Ratech and really like the features. Some of which Ridgid doesn't have yet.

Opinions? Comments? Criticism's

http://www.rjmcompany.com/Inspector-...ion-camera.pdf
      bill, with 4 times in the shop this past year, what have been the issues? a problem with the camera, reel or operator

is the camera used by more than 1 person?

the reason i ask is, if you're having this many issues with a basic camera, just imagine how many issues you might have with a self leveling camera, and computer deck.

plus the computer thats included is very basic. personally, i would assign the camera to 1 person and have them accountable for it.

in the 12 or so years i've owned cameras, i've never broken 1. i've had a few transmitters go bad, but the actual camera, reel and monitor has never been an issue.

i really think with all the bells and whistles this newer camera has, you're asking for trouble with multiple users.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        bill, with 4 times in the shop this past year, what have been the issues? a problem with the camera, reel or operator
        1 lens/lights replacement; 2 broken cables (purchased a 300' reel new; been cut down so many times just over 200' left); 1 monitor connector

is the camera used by more than 1 person?
        Yes, we have multiple people operating expensive equipment

the reason i ask is, if you're having this many issues with a basic camera, just imagine how many issues you might have with a self leveling camera, and computer deck.

plus the computer thats included is very basic. personally, i would assign the camera to 1 person and have them accountable for it.

in the 12 or so years i've owned cameras, i've never broken 1. i've had a few transmitters go bad, but the actual camera, reel and monitor has never been an issue.

i really think with all the bells and whistles this newer camera has, you're asking for trouble with multiple users.

rick.
        I was hoping to avoid having multiple users on the new equipment and just have 1 truck setup with the camera. No one else can touch it without the proper training.

Our current Seesnake is over 10 years old. Pretty well beat up by the gorillas I work with. These are the guys that call in and say "we have been jamming the camera down the cleanout for an hour and can't get it past the sweep. What do we do? ....huh?....what's a running trap?"

These arn't the guys you want a 15k camera in their hands or even diagnosing a sewer issue. They can't even go one week without breaking a shovel.

I was pining over a competitors camera last week with all the sexy gadgets. We really need an upgrade from the B&W so I was doing some window shopping.

Comment

stick with the ridgid.

there are advantages to this brand

tell them you're a friend of josh. or josh said you can have it

wait till the roundup before you commit.

rick.

i could always sell you one or more of mine

i can always go there and give you a demo. joey wants a vacation.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Brand new to the forum. Looks like an informative place.

I too came across the Ratech Inspector PC camera system and liked what I saw. It only makes sense to have a Laptop based camera system. The ability to record into hard drive, print still shots, burn to DVD, compress and email video to customers seems great.

Does anyone else offer this type of technology? Does Ridgid have something like this in the works?

I must admit I am not a very tech savvy guy but the possibilities seem very intriguing.

Our current camera is not a Ridgid but we do have the NaviTrack II locater and have found it to be by far the best unit we've come across...that's what brought me to this forum.

Hopefully Ridgid will get on the ball and impress us with some new camera technology...I just find it hard to believe they only offer VHS format for recording, this reason alone will likely steer me to another manufacturer...and yes I have seen the posts about purchasing add on equipment to use in conjunction with Ridgid's to be able to save to hard drive and burn DVD's, but if I'm ready to invest in a new system I would like options other than VHS...I want a one stop shop to meet my needs.

Thanks for the forum...I'll look out for suggestions/responses.

Comment

No they make DVD recording units I have one. And from what josh has said there are upgrades to even that coming like a USB port. Ridgid setups might not have every new feature but the basic package is sound and works period.
              People talking about DVD recording set ups are people with older models that they are still using and this is proof of how long they last.
              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                i could always sell you one or more of mine

i can always go there and give you a demo. joey wants a vacation.
                But Rick, you don't own a self leveling head and I thought you two take separate vacations?

Originally posted by youngsplumbing View Post
                Brand new to the forum. Looks like an informative place.

I too came across the Ratech Inspector PC camera system and liked what I saw. It only makes sense to have a Laptop based camera system. The ability to record into hard drive, print still shots, burn to DVD, compress and email video to customers seems great.

Does anyone else offer this type of technology? Does Ridgid have something like this in the works?
                Youngsplumbing welcome to the forum

I agree, the ability to be able to do all those things right from the jobsite would greatly improve the quality of the service this type of technology can deliver.

40% of my service work is through management companies. To be able to send a copy through email to the homeowner across the country would also increase the efficiency of the process. The crux of the whole procedure is timing when dealing with tenants with broken and collapsed sewers.

We stopped making recording of our camera inspections a while back. Our customer base is fairly affuent. Most do not even own a working VCR. Became a big hassle trying to convert to DVD.

We need to keep up with the Jones's

A local plumber has started using tethered miniature remote operated cameras on wheels

Comment

i talked to the ratech guys at the show. as far as cameras go they got it together they are the makers of general wires cameras. i bought a vision technology camera from the show im impressed so far.
                  Mike
                  Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                  www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Bill, are you talking about Magnolia?
                    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                      Bill, are you talking about Magnolia?
                      yea, they have a box truck riding around town with a big picture of it on the side

Comment

Yeah, I think I've seen it on one of their Sprinters or something too.

They just opened up a 'storage shop' just up the road from me on Route 3. They got some nice equipment.

Whats up with First Class Plumbing?

Did his wife get $$$ hungry and want her own plumbing company?
                        Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                          Yeah, I think I've seen it on one of their Sprinters or something too.

They just opened up a 'storage shop' just up the road from me on Route 3. They got some nice equipment.
                          They are getting bigger everyday. Starting to squeeze the little guys out

Whats up with First Class Plumbing?

Did his wife get $$$ hungry and want her own plumbing company?
                          I expect Mrs. Seatdown to do the same soon

Comment

HAHA.

How's their work, ever seen any of it, or heard about it? ...Other than the few soccer mom's just bitching to hear themselves talk...
                            Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                              Crack I am not money hungry-I have my own and I do not want my own plumbing company

And to think I thought you were one of the good guys I let you eat my hubby's cherry and this is what I get in return
                              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Working...
                              X