X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locating Equipment

My father recently moved into a house in rather rural part of town. The water meter is at the the intersection of a public road and the private rosd leading to his house. The service has to be at least a couple of hundred yards long before reaching his house. He called me today and asked about running a water line out to his barn. All we know is that the service is PVC and runs alongside the road. Can a locator with a transmitter located the pipe? My first thought was no, that signal couldn't travel through the plastic, but upon further pondering could the water in the pipe not carry the current from the transmitter? The city doesn't see to have a problem locating water mains. (c900)

What frequency? How far will the signal travel? These are all things that i ponder?

Re: Locating Equipment

plastic is a dead pipe not much i know that can trace it, as for the city just like the gas co they use tracer wire buried along with the pipe.

Comment

Hmm interesting. What is the difference between locating a PVC sewer line and a PVC water line? besides being smaller?

I know you can locate copper water lines with a regular reciever, but i never had to locate a pvc water line.

My question is a serious one. Im wondering what the difference is
      The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
        Hmm interesting. What is the difference between locating a PVC sewer line and a PVC water line? besides being smaller?

I know you can locate copper water lines with a regular reciever, but i never had to locate a pvc water line.

My question is a serious one. Im wondering what the difference is
        It's not large enough or have the properly fittings for running a sonde into it.

Some have talked about pushing an energized fish tape but the other method is to use a sound generator and a leak location unit.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by MPMGinAL View Post

Can a locator with a transmitter located the pipe? My first thought was no, that signal couldn't travel through the plastic,
          That is the easiest locate there is but I doubt the sonde will fit in the pipe and if it did it won't make any changes of direction.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            It's not large enough or have the properly fittings for running a sonde into it.

Some have talked about pushing an energized fish tape but the other method is to use a sound generator and a leak location unit.

Mark

Mark, would the leak detection work on a line that isnt leaking. I have leak detection equip. But have only used it to listen for a leak, and sometimes thats a pain in the butt. What kind of sound would you be listening for. I know when the water line is leaking ...you can hear that hissing sound.
            The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
              Mark, would the leak detection work on a line that isnt leaking. I have leak detection equip. But have only used it to listen for a leak, and sometimes thats a pain in the butt. What kind of sound would you be listening for. I know when the water line is leaking ...you can hear that hissing sound.
              The sound generator causes a hydraulically generated acoustic pulses on the pipe which sets up a noise you can trace.

Mark

Comment

The sound generator causes a hydraulically generated acoustic pulses on the pipe which sets up a noise you can trace.

Mark

Nice, thanks for the info

Comment

Mark
                  sound generator how do you hook one up and were do you get one iam not familiar with this enlighten me. thanks

Comment

I just got finished looking at these units at metrotech.com? Looks failrly simple. Pricing is not licted on the sight for that system though. I found what appears to be part of the system priced at 3 grand on the site though. I think i can stick a backhoe in the ground and find it!!! Would be a cool gadget to own though.

Comment

how do you tie it into the system or does it clamp around the pipe to do its thing? sounds neat but if you dont ues it all the time sounds like it might not be worth the cost. metrotech i will head to there website.

Comment

Originally posted by aero1 View Post
                        how do you tie it into the system or does it clamp around the pipe to do its thing? sounds neat but if you dont ues it all the time sounds like it might not be worth the cost. metrotech i will head to there website.
                        You clamp them onto a pipe with water in the line.

Mark

Comment

appreciate that.

Comment

forget about any kind of clamp-on-thumper if you want range and have pipes deeper than 1 meter. then you really need a Pressure Wave Generator that makes its thump by ejecting water in short bursts. you need a valve to attach this. we use this method on pressurised non-metalic water pipes here in norway all the time. some water companies even use this method it for tracing metalic pipes, because they have so much trouble locating the pipes with em-locators when there are cables and tramrails running above the pipe.

for this method to work you also need a high quality ground microphone.

Regards,
                            Severin A Eskeland, ESKELAND ELECTRONICS, N-1400 Ski, NORWAY
                            http://www.Detektor.no > Nettstedet for metalldetektorer og utstyr for underjordisk lokalisering og feils√łking
                            Last edited by santander; 06-18-2008, 07:55 PM.
                            Regards,
                            Severin A Eskeland, Eskeland Electronics AS, N-1400 Ski, NORWAY
                            www.Detektor.no > Metal Detectors, Line Locators, Leak Detectors, Inspection Cameras, Data Loggers and Fault Locators

Comment

Working...
                            X